water pump, i think.

Matty B

Hi everyone. I went out for a drive the other day and noticed that when i got stuck in traffic the temp guage went off the scale. I took it home and forgot all about it untill today. I topped the water up and it took 2 1/2 lts (quite alot i thought), i then took it for a run to my old mans and on arriving i noticed water dripping onto the floor. I layed underneath to have a look and i think the water pump is leaking. Is this a common prob ? has anyone had this problem ? is it a big job or could i do it myself ? Any advice would be great, need to get this sorted ASAP. Definately don't want to be doing a head gasket. Cheers, Matt.

O

Odin

If the water is dripping from under the pump then it needs changing, About £40 from Nissan, Not to bad a job if you are handy with the spanners.

Rob

Matty B

40 pounds, is that all. I was thinking of alot more. Was gonna get a second hand one but for that price theres no point. And thats from nissan is it?

youngsyp

Odin said:
Not to bad a job if you are handy with the spanners.

Rob
It's an absolute pig of a job. I do almost all the mechanical work on the Pulsar my self, as I have on all the cars I've owned. So, I'm quite proficient with a spanner. However, changing the water pump took me the best part of the day as, it's such a mofo to get to.

You need a set of long reach combination spanners, little hands, Mt Tickle arms and a lot of patience. Oh, and be ready to lower and raise the engine

Whilst you're getting the water pump, get a alternator belt and powersteering belt whilst you're at it. You may as well change these at the same time as, they need removing anyway.

I don't want to put a downer on things but, want you to know just what you're letting yourself in for !

Cheers

Paul

O

Odin

Matty B said:
And thats from nissan is it?

Yes mate, They aren't that expenssive really.

No more than £50 at most, I defo wouldn't fit a second hand water pump to any car ;-) .

Rob

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
It's an absolute pig of a job. I do almost all the mechanical work on the Pulsar my self, as I have on all the cars I've owned. So, I'm quite proficient with a spanner. However, changing the water pump took me the best part of the day as, it's such a mofo to get to.

You need a set of long reach combination spanners, little hands, Mt Tickle arms and a lot of patience. Oh, and be ready to lower and raise the engine

Whilst you're getting the water pump, get a alternator belt and powersteering belt whilst you're at it. You may as well change these at the same time as, they need removing anyway.

I don't want to put a downer on things but, want you to know just what you're letting yourself in for !

Cheers

Paul

It only took me a couple of hours mate :? :shock: , I must be special or something :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Matty B

I'll order a pump tomorrow and have a go myself i think. Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll let you know how i get on.

O

Odin

Matty B said:
I'll order a pump tomorrow and have a go myself i think. Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll let you know how i get on.

You will need to buy a good sealant because their is no gasket ;-) .

The Nissan stuff is best but it's about £25 a tube :shock: , I just got some good quality stuff from my local factors ;-) .

Rob

dobby

its not a hard job to do. its just its very tight to get two hands in. If you can remove the power steering tank.