Water Loss

keggles2001

Noticed that my car is losing water last night:cry: ,haven't had time too check it out properly yet checked the oil and it's not creamy,hoping it might just be a loose pipe,if it is the headgasket i think i will have a rebiuld any sugestions on were to have a rebiuld been told,hi teq or norris any suggestions please bearing in mind i'm in nottingham,

stumo

why not find out where the leak is coming from before thinking of spending lots on a rebuild.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the water pipes on the engine, especially the back.

This is the Chinese year of the leaking water pipe:doh:

keggles2001

I'm going too check first just trying to get a some opinions incase the worst comes to the worst,i did notice a bit of steam coming out near the passenger headlight so i might start looking there:doh:

keggles2001

cheers mate gonna check it out over the weekend hopefully be something simple i will let you know how i get on

keggles2001

:? still baffled got home from work filled up the water,let the car warm up,turned the engine off and could hear a hissing noise coming from near the pipe that connects to the bottom of the rad but could not see anything,but when i applied pressure to the hose the noise got louder:cry: but i still couldn't see anything,went for a drive came back three quarters of the water was gone but no hissing this time:? checked the oil still seems fine oil pressure seems fine boost is ok,i'm a bit stuck now

O

Odin

Yeah its defoe the rad, Same thing happened to mine years ago, Was bl00dy hard to find though lol, Buy a new all copper rad from absolute radiator in the states, It will cost you about a £100 delivered and hasn't got the plastic end tanks, Plus it's twice as thick...

Oh and its a straight swap like for like....

Rob

O

Odin

rossdj1983 said:
what did you do for the rad fans? front mount?

The standard rad fans fit back on with this copper rad mate, Its like for like as I said before :thumbsup: ,It's only with my big Alloy 53mm rad which is 3 times thicker do you need to move one of the fans, I'm just running one at the moment, But I'll be front mounting the one after the rebuild...

Rob

keggles2001

Thanks for that rob i will get one sorted that seems a little easier on the wallet as well i was qouted £400 for a so called high pressure rad

O

Odin

Major_Sarcasm said:
http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=89

I'm guessing it's the second one on this page. How's that work for turbo clearance, etc. There's probably not enough room with a large tubby and the fans is there?

Alternatively, if you go to Nissan and get a Sunny GTiR rad, it's slightly thicker than the Pulsar jobby anyway.

Theirs plenty of room for the turbo with the copper rad, It's just the big alloy one like mine thats the problem with larger turbos, I'm not sure how many time's I have to explain this to some of you brain deads :der: , And even that is easerly solved by fitting a slimline fan on the front of the rad instead, Why do people make such hard work of an easy job :roll: :yawn: ...

Also the rad your on about will still have the plastic end tanks which is the thing that goes on the standard rads, So why noty pay less for a better rad and cure all the design flaws while you're at it..

Rob

O

Odin

keggles2001 said:
any idea how much they are from Nissan?

I'm not sure but its a lot more than the one from the states, But Pete on here could get you one a bit cheaper if you can't wait the 12 days it will take for the nice copper one from Absolute radiator to arrive ;-) ......

Personaly I'd rather wait for the good one and keep topping up the one you have now for the time being :lol: .

Rob

O

Odin

keggles2001 said:
that's what I'm going to do,thanks for your help

Make sue when you order it, That you tell them that its for a GTIR, The person to talk to is a guy called Vince I seem to remember ;-) .....

Their service is top notch :thumbsup: 8) .....

Oh and your welcome fella...

Rob

keggles2001

just emailed absolute and they say its 80 dollars for delivery so will be $200 delivered providing i dont get stung for import tax:thumbsup: