water in the oil

A

Anonymous

I have just bought a GTiR with a problem with water in the oil. I have had the head crack tested - OK Head had to be shaved a bit. On removal of the head I found a piece of liquid gasket stuck in the water gallery in the block. I have also found the same thing in the oil when drained. THe guy who owned it says that the block is okay and suspected the head, but the head is okay, have inspected the water pump. A nissan mechanic says that it is important to use the right liquid gasket and the right oil ring installed on the timing chain cover, does anyone know of any possible areas to check?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Oil in the water is normally signs of a blowing head gasket, so I presume it's feasable that water in the oil is too. If you found some gasket in the oil ways, I think it would be wise to have the oilways cleaned out thouroughly. The last thing you want is an engine failure when you put it all back together because another bit of gasket has blocked an oilway to a bearing for example. While it's out change the water pump. They can and do fail and for £40 its alot easier to do when the engine is out.

zia

don,t use any sealants with the headgasket whatsoever otherwise you,ll have improper sealing.make sure it 100% clean and flat before refitting.

zia

A

Anonymous

sweet

thanks - the head gasket was alright, the guy had just put it back together and found the oil in the water and just left it in his garage for about 6 months. Its a sweet car, it has a GTiRB rollcage, which Im selling, bar and plate intercooler, 3 inch exhaust - all for $5500 NZ.

When I had the head planed, they said that the head was only slightly warped at one end. Although when I took the rocker cover off, the head gasket was stuck down where the timing chain cover is, instead of sealing the head to the cover. He had plugged the gap with sealant

How do I clean the oil galleries? and how do the water pumps fail?

zia

you can clean the oil galleries by using air pressure from a compresor with an airline adapter.you have to drain the oil and water out. and disconnect fuel hoses.it will get a bit messey this way but the alternative is to strip engine then do it :( the water pump normally fail through wear and tear.

zia

A

Anonymous

thanks zia

My boss used to be a mechanic and I showed him a long piece of black silicone sealant that was stuck in the water galleries in the block. He said that it was crap as it cant handle high temperatures

I think that I will strip the engine down just to be sure, give me a good chance to check out the bearings and stuff

whats a good place to start with mods? I thought about aftermarket cams

any suggestions?

zia

how deep are your pockets :D :idea: do a search its been discussed quite number of times :p

zia