wastegates and turbos

coxie

when people talk of external wastegates i know what you mean but lately including in the spec list for my turbo which i have only just got its says fitted with an uprated internal wastegate :?: i may look stupid asking this but when you change turbo and opt for one on a standard manifold is the wastegate part of the new turbo and what can be uprated about them. the only reson i ask is because i have done some digging and found the spec on my turbo...ie sizes and flow rate and trim.so i was just curious :oops: :roll: :?:

S

Sirnixalot

here is what you have to do to a standard manifold to run an external wastegate

coxie

thanks for your reply i understand the principles of the external wastegate and where it fits or where u can fit it . my point was in the last few days i see a few people listing internal uprated wastegate as part of the spec. i under stand the rest of the spec i have received but just curious as to why its listed as uprated.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Short of increasing the diammeter of the internal wastegate, I don't see how you could uprate it. If all internal ones are the same, they're just a flap on an arm that blocks a hole (in the most basic of terms) You can however get an uprated (internal) wastegate actuator, which basically makes the turbo produce more boost to overcome the actuator spring pressure and open the wastegate.

S

stuart rawlinson

uprated cld mean a couple of things

Lk its a better design stronger rod etc OR more like will hold boost better mite open at a higher boost level like my first one
Ask the ppls who are supplying it your paying for it make them do the work and explain what your getting for your money when they say uprated :wink:

coxie

the turbo was already fitted when i got the car but i wanted to know what spec it was ie trim and flow rate.i contacted the company and five months later got an explanation of what i asked but i cannot be arsed to wait another five months to find out what uprated means..

i will post the spec up of the turbo later.

coxie

i have been sent this spec for my turbo and was told it is a hybrid from TD or they said it looks very similar to the ND Hyper turbo in the nd brochure.:

0.64 a/r turbine housing
0.70 a/r compressor housing
watercooler centre
48 trim compressor wheel
48 lbs/min comp flow rate max
76 trim turbine wheel
uprated integral wastegate.

is this a good spec/overkill or crying out for more than 1.25 bar boost. :twisted: :twisted: :?:

coxie

Have just got confirmation from simon norris that my car is indeed fitted with a Hyper Turbo. Thanks for everybodies help.

E

Edd

Well ginga is running 1.8 bar on that turbo so i think you should be alright :lol: 8)

coxie

really... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: thanks for that edd thats good to know. has it been reliable and what other mods has he got if you know.

PS how is the car coming along at hiteq. :wink:

E

Edd

i meant to put that post on ur other topic as u just found out its super hybrid :oops:

he's got hks 86mm pistons, hks cams, runs safc2 and a bleed valve and 50bhp nos :shock:
he was running it for a while at 1.4 bar but now has it mapped for 1.8 :eek: :shock:

He says its okay, but i think it peaks at 1.8 bar but drops to about 1.4 bar highe rup in revs, it doesnt hold boost that well, but i dont think the turbo is designed really to hold 1.8 bar

not sure how cars getting on, must ring up sometime before Ian forgets about it :wink:
although going to order turbo monday 8)

GINGA

:shock: Nope my turbo's the Nd super hybrid (not the hyper) which is basically a slightly modified standard unit with 360 degree bearing etc :wink:
It peaks at 1.8bar then drops to about 17psi by the redline :cry: hence the need for a larger turbo

A

Anonymous

I was gonna say, the Hyper is more than double the price of the T28 Super Hybrid :)

So, people are running the Super Hybrid at 1.8bar without any problems?

coxie

when mr norris told me that was my turbo he said it was listed at£1759 for the turbo and £149 for the fitting kit plus vat :!:

i do have to say that it is a shit hot piece of kit and the response of spool up is amazing.

O

Odin

Beef said:
So you have the Hyper :) Does anyone run the Super Hybrid?
Yeah I had the super hybrid I found it to pull a lot better than the standard
turbo at the top end but I was only running it at 1.2 bar.

Now Paul (GINGA) has it on his car and is running it at 1.8 bar but he's finding that it can't hold boost over about 6000rpm and it dropping to 1.4 bar, But to be fair I think it's only rated at 1.6 bar.

hope this is of some help mate rob :wink: .