VVL Head on GTIR block

ckd281081

SO..... i guess we've all seen the yellow Pulsar on FB just now with the VVL head claiming crazy HP figures. Whats everyones thoughts on the VVL head? Im 85% convinced on it and have agreed a price for one to get shipped over from the guy (ready to bolt on plus double valve springs & retainers). The guy recons ill get 100 whp more with that head than i will with a polished/ported/cammed gtir head. Ive not said yes to the guy yet, but hoorin tempted..........

ckd281081

Well the aim was to hit 500bhp, but this guy recons an extra 100bhp is the norm with a VVL head as a pose to a GTIR head. I think he's the Mazworx guy, but been yapping on fb so still to confirm that. I am on the look out for a head or just about to put my head away for work anyway, so its something i need whatever way i decide to go.

I guess if you had 2 parts in front of you, and one gave you 100bhp more and you had the supporting mods to take it, it makes sense to go for it.

But to answer your question, id love high revs and high power

red reading

Standard head will do 500 easily and they need very little done port work wise, you won't gain 100hp just from the heads as the port design is not actually much differant between the two on the exhaust side and the gtir actually has a better inlet design. The vvl head is a better design regarding rockers which if you are wanting to rev to 9500rpm is a good idea, I did have a vvl head and did consider doing the conversion but tbh I could not see enough benefit to warrant it in my usage of the car and the fact that my car makes enough power and torque to continuously break parts of the drive train constantly (540hp)

Empty Pockets

I'm assuming you're not talking about the box Dan, have you looked into uprated shafts, prop etc, or are you happy with where the car is now and have no want/need for further development etc ? I'm sure you know yourself, but there's a few shops (mostly yanks) the evo lot use, meant to work well and prices looked good imo, drivelineshop, or driveshaftshop was the name of one i think.

red reading

Cv joints are the issue russ, I have killed a few standard rear diffs and a nismo one and a transfer box, but that is just something that happens from the age of the parts as well, but front cv's I have done 6 now...I have just reduced the pre load on the nismo centre diff so that may help....we shall see

Empty Pockets

If i had the choice of either head, was starting from a blank canvas and going to fully work whichever one i got, i'd pick vet everytime just for the reliability aspect, plus if you had both and were starting from scratch there wouldn't be any difference in cost so why wouldn't you, there's only positives left then imo. On the other hand as Dan said above really, it's not necessary unless you're wanting something different/mental from the car (650hp+ 9k screamer), and unless you're going that way it's a lot of expense when what we have is quite capable. That's my opinion anyway, but then i'd do it just to see whst it'd be like if money wasn't an issue..... :)

Empty Pockets

Cv joints are the issue russ, I have killed a few standard rear diffs and a nismo one and a transfer box, but that is just something that happens from the age of the parts as well, but front cv's I have done 6 now...I have just reduced the pre load on the nismo centre diff so that may help....we shall see
Wow, so the box is just the start of the drivetrain issues for the R then, 6 fronts says it all really dude. are you going to upgrade or just try and dial it out of the setup , detune etc as above ? How many miles do you think it's taken you to get through that lot at your power, and were many of those on track ? Thanks for the info Dan

red reading

I am looking into different cv from another nissan, the car has done a lot of miles both track and road circa 20,000 now so breakage wise I am not worried about tranx boxes and rear diffs as they are all old anyway, I have also snapped a input shaft in the gearbox and pulled the splined centre out of a solid clutch disc on a Multiplate clutch.....seems that everything on the car is life'd now but then so is anything raced and abused...lol

Empty Pockets

I am looking into different cv from another nissan, the car has done a lot of miles both track and road circa 20,000 now so breakage wise I am not worried about tranx boxes and rear diffs as they are all old anyway, I have also snapped a input shaft in the gearbox and pulled the splined centre out of a solid clutch disc on a Multiplate clutch.....seems that everything on the car is life'd now but then so is anything raced and abused...lol
True, atleast it gets proper use though, not many do, and with those miles at 500 plus it's not too bad really then. Glad you're sticking with it and looking for a solution, good on you, hope it all goes to plan.

vss irvine

Seems to me this guy is pushing the case for these vvl heads because he's making money from selling them.

every post on these fb pages he's bumping up the use of the vvl head.

Im sceptical about all usa/etc power figures as it seems over there they make power so much easier? But why? Do they do anything really diffferent from europe uk owners?

Theres no denying the vvl has its advantages but one upgarde could open up more issues.

Maybe needs someone to try it to find out what the craic is?

Empty Pockets

Both on pulsars, or are you talking 200sx vvl ? What about the powerband, is it any longer with the neo head and comparable spec, i'm assuming if they don't spool any later then it's got to be if it's built to rev at 9k all day, unless it just falls flat up top ? What is your opinion on why the pulsar seems such a peaky motor, they look to lag more than most other comparable 4 pots with similar turbo's and drop off early aswell, are all sr20dets like this, or just pulsar one's ?

Terminology gets used somewhat interchangeably but there are 3 heads:
The SR20VE (found in the P11) and SR16VE heads are the same bar the cams.
The SR16VE N1 is skimmed from the factory for higher compression ratio.
The later 20v head found in the P12 has slightly different port design and unique cam profile, the VET found on the X-trail is pretty much the same as the 20V but with its own cam profile.

Empty Pockets

Don't think the 200sx one's were, although i'm not entirely sure, thought they had a similar rev-limit to the pulsar ? I don't know anything about half the versions Ed listed above, i've only really heard of the sr20ve & sr16ve n/a one's from the n15 pulsars, vzr etc iirc, think these had a 8.5-9k rev-limit ?

vss irvine

200sx has vvt an oil pressure controlled valve timing.

These engines are vvl which have 2 sets of cam lobes on the camshafts

they switch again using oil pressure but its a complete change valve duration

Empty Pockets

Exactly, two different systems, variable valve timing off the cam pulley, or variable valve lift off two cam profiles, i'm as guilty as anyone calling them the wrong name, just wondered if that's what Fusion was on about as i haven't heard of any 54c blocks with vvl head and decent size turbo and his post read like he'd done a few ?