Valve stem oil seals gone but no smoke?

craigcarlon

As a few of you may know I've just got my car back with suspected valve stem oil seals needing replacing
from what I know (not much) when they have gone you get a build up of oil and when you start it in the morning it'd smoke..

The mapping session was aborted due to excessive smoke which they diagnosed as oil seals

i drove it from Warrington to Oldham, no smoke, started it in the morning, no smoke, drove it to the car wash, no smoke, stated it up today, no smoke.. You get the point ha
When I drove it bk I made sure the avcr stayed in minus or at 0 around 2500 rpm

bassicly I'm wondering how I could know for a fact that it's the seals? With minimal mechanical knowledge preferably

would it have smoked when I drive it home if it was the seals?
Is there anything else it could be?
Is there any way that I could get it to the point where I can witness this smoke but without thrashing it because obviously that'd be a bad idea and I'd rather not drive it with no map or whatever it is because I don't understand if it'd have a map or not ha

cheers in advance

craigcarlon

No but on the origional invoice is states that they aborted mapping due to excessive smoke which I can't see them making that up but who knows.

my point is what am I supposed to do? Just drive it? It's not mapped so won't the engine just blow up?
Or do I take it to a company with a dyno, and wait for another outrageous bill?
I want to get it sorted but where do I start?

e2a.. Drove it to MOT station today and it drove fine but didn't put my foot down.. Oh and no smoke when I started it

Last edited:

Sye

take it for a leakdown test at any garage, might be your piston rings?

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
my point is what am I supposed to do? Just drive it? It's not mapped so won't the engine just blow up?
It shouldn't just blow up. My car was on standard fuelling for years and didn't blow up and was running 12.0 1/4s at the time. Then again, what ecu, injectors and turbo do you have. If these have all been changed it might be a different story.

Give it some throttle and if you hear anything untowards ie det then back off. You haven't seen any smoke yet because as far as I can tell you haven't put your foot down. You also need to check out for smoke on the over run.

And as soon as you can afford to, get it to Ed at Fusion. I drove to him from further than you, so no excuses. lol.

craigcarlon

Well I thought that because my friend has an mx5 which he put a turbo on and never had the ECU changed, he just keeps his eye on the temp

its a gt3071r, 720cc injectors and it has a nistune chip in the ECU which was fitted while it was at TD

what do you mean by det mate?

No no ive deffo not put my foot down lol
Id love to but it's affording it at the moment, I'm going to get it insured this week and see how the piggy bank looks