Uprated ignition and coil packs

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I set the gaps at just over 1.0mm, took the car out and did one WOT gear run. It had a small and brief miss halfway through but carried on to the full rpm. As my car hadn't done that before I'm not going to push it as I expect its on the limit.

So 0.9mm it is.

After commuting in the car at 0.9mm for a week the engine us much smoother at low load.

The plugs look cleaner too which is a bonus. Difficult to say if economy is up or not as that has more to do with how often I boot it!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Update: I switched to my old Iridium plugs that I had around and gapped them for 1.0mm

On the commute to work I'm trying to optimise the economy and the Iridiums seemed to be marginally less prone to lean misfires.

I did a quick 4th gear blast and no rich misifres so based on the recent tests it was marginally better than the BC'8s I was using.

I wouldn't say this was conclusive of anything as I need more miles under the wheels.

Also I've been caught out in the past with the fragility of the Iridiums but for the moment I'll stick with them and see where I get to.

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Explain the fragility of the iridium's jim?
I threw an old set away as they got so soaked in petrol during my first CAS issue with the PFC and never worked very well afterwards. I also had a tip fail on me once which might just have been a dodgy plug but it has been the only time :?

I think these kind of experiences is why some people hate them. After today's experience I'm warming to them again.

ashills

so many drop tips and kill engines and when the 3 quid plugs do a better more reliable job there my choice