Uprated Callipers

hmmm

Hi,

Might sound sound like a silly question but I was a bit unsure on this.
Can you get uprated callipers to fit normal size discs and would the callipers take the normal size brake pads?

Thanks

G

GTiRich

Yeah you can get them to take standard disks. They WONT take bnormal sized pads though. They would be a completely different shape!!!

G

GTiRich

The best would be a set of 12 pots or something silly like that that cost megabucks and require 20" wheels. If you wanna keep standard discs then you're best of going for 4 pots. I dont really know which are the best. I've got some wilwoods waiting to go on

hmmm

Would those Wilwoods fit standard size discs? Where did you get those from and how much were they?

Thanks

skiddusmarkus

You can make aftermarket calipers fit pretty much any disk but you'll need spacers fabricating.The problem is that the better braking from the new calipers would heat up the disks more than the OE rubbish and could cause fade so a bit pointless IMO.OK for quick blasts but not for prolonged use.

hmmm

I bought some Mintex C-Tech Racing Discs and they are the standard size but wont heat up like the oe discs. Any suggestions on what callipers to go for? keeping in mind a maximum price of £150.

MarkTurbo

I wouldnt bother with 4 pots on the standard discs, get some bigger ones :wink:

I've got some massive brembo 4 pots from a Vanquish going on my car :twisted:

hmmm

They are uprated discs but not any larger than standard ones. What size are the standard discs anyway?

I really need some recommendations on callipers :wink:

Thanks

MarkTurbo

Re: ...

hmmm said:
Any suggestions on what callipers to go for? keeping in mind a maximum price of £150.
You wont get much for £150 :lol: Maybe a 2nd hand set of 4 pots off a later 200sx or something :wink:

kyepan

on second thoughts. this might help you decide on what to do about your brakes..If you read it, you won't just want to update your calipers any more.

What you want is more potential to absorb and get rid of heat cause brakes turn friction into heat, and when the overheat they stop working cause they cant turn any more friction into heat.. erk.. crash.

Big discs dissapate more heat which is what is generated when you apply the brakes. This is because they have more metal to heat up, and more surface area to radiate the heat out through.

Having four/six/ten smaller pots in a line moves the clamping point further out on the disc, so it has more leverage and a more braking power for the same force applied through your tootsie.

So bigger discs mean you can brake for longer, and multi piston calipers mean you can brake harder .. till you lock up.

if you can, get an alloy caliper, they are lighter than the cast iron ones you find in some kits. Plus they usually have little heat vanes, like a heatsink on a pc cpu, to help dissapate even more heat

hope this helps.

JB

hmmm

£140 for the callipers. Would these fit directly on or would there be anything else needed? (mounts, bolts screws etc).

Thanks

G

GTiRich

Yeah you'd have to buy a mounting kit aswell. rally designs sell the mounting kit. They got loads of callipers in stock but if ya want discs aswell theres a very long wait for them :wink: