Turbo gone?

111mattin111

After putting my turbo back on it had no play, since its been on for about 50miles it now has loads of in and out play, now it doesn't smoke at all, but it still seems to be lacking in power, it boosts to 16psi no problem and stays there

but could there still be something wrong with it causing it not to be fully perform?

Heres a pic of the blades if you zoom in does it look like the blades are chipped?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What else have you done?
What are you plugs like; are they gapped appropriately?

I'm just wondering if the turbo is fine and it's something else that's causing your loss of power (like spark getting blow-out).

111mattin111

Fitted new ngk bcr8es tried gap at .9 and .8 there is a hesitation between gear changes, replaced a lot of the vac piping, also sorted two splits in one of the intercooler pipes,

fitted 560 injectors, z32 afm, remapped ecu,

next things thinking of trying is checking ign timing, changing fuel filter, after that out of ideas

Thats the colour of all 4 plugs

mikey bean

a turbo has god a specified amount of movement in the shaft from side to side but should have no end float back and forth. thats what im told anyway

red reading

Up down is fine, in out is bad , should have hardley any of either though, was your ecu mapped for your car or has it been mapped on another an sold to you? As an ecu mapped for another car will not work properly on yours, and should never be sold to you under that impression....,there has been people's cars ruined from that.

111mattin111

It was remote mapped from a car running similar setup and put on my ecu with daughter board changed, my mapper is going to be checking the map and live mapping it again for me

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Simple thing, have both cars got the same base timing...I have seen you are looking for timing light to borrow.

111mattin111

Yep that was the next thing I wanted to check that my ign timing is the same but need a gun to do this

Is the timing marks on the crank pulley like most other cars or somewhere different on the pulsar?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Yep was mapped on a car that's running perfect then the map was uploaded on to my ecu before I fitted it to my car

Very un safe practice if not done in controlled conditions, you only need to have slight differences between cars to cause issues......even altitude between the two areas the cars are can change things huge amounts, as discovered by ed at fusion whilst mapping in recently .

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Just linked a post for standard ign timing, you need to know what yor base timing should be before you change it, the map will have been set possible to a differant base I.e 15degrees or 18 degrees rather than the stock jap setting of 20 degrees.

111mattin111

Hmmm so would you recommend changing the turbo now it has in out movement? Will get the other bits timing ect sorted asap

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Leave it alone, sounds like your problem is else where or the map, have you tried a stock ecu back on the car?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Be very careful, it take milliseconds of detonation at full throttle to ruin a turbo engine. You really need someone with det cans to be listening to your engine underload.