Tunning and Mapping in Scotland.

williams

so, for example, if you were just mapping a fairly stock R with boost up to 1.2 bar you would mainly do full throttle mapping?

Fusion Ed

Mid and top load. There would be no need to alter closed loop areas on the map as that would already be correct if the fuelling was left standard. Ignition timing makes almost no difference at this point too since there is no load on the engine.

Braveheart

I have made contact with Russ at Dastek. http://www.dastekdyno.com/
R’s booked it in for 27th Oct. I’ll get the suspension geometry setup then onto the dyno for mapping. All going well, I’ll be up at Knockhill on 13th Nov with Track Scotland. http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/trackdays.htm. It’s a 4 hour open pit session and should be ideal for further setup and of course pleasure!
Keep you posted!

P.S. Anybody interested in joining this track session?
I will post a separate thread on the event!

Braveheart

Fusion Ed.... can you have a shoofty at my setup and datalog just to make sure there is nothing strange with my base setting and things are communicating ok so that I can address the any issues before my visit.
I'll sent it by email to you info@fusion-motorsport.co.uk.

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Had a quick look and it looks fine. but TURN OFF the AFR target map, and LEAVE it off!! It will ruin your map otherwise (its not that great) other than that data looks ok at least from standing still point of view.

Braveheart

Thanks Ed!!!
Standing still on axle stands... :)
I'll turn off AF target. (that was my safety blanket) although I guess if my AFR input failed, I'd piss the bed... ;-)
I'll post back the results....

Fusion Ed

AFR target mapping cannot properly control itself you tend to end up with a map going from one extreme to another only a cell apart due to interpolation of the main map, hence why I don't do it. :)

Bet your glad to get it mapped, I Have a rollin road day their on the 30th, so will see how GI have done with their live set up, and get russ booked to finish it on the rollers if its iffy :)

Braveheart

Bet your glad to get it mapped, I Have a rollin road day their on the 30th, so will see how GI have done with their live set up, and get russ booked to finish it on the rollers if its iffy :)
I'm very happy to be moving forward and excited about getting it setup and back on the track.
Took the car for a drive yesterday in an effort to bed in the many new bushes and suspension, check the Profec B controller was working and of course, all the hoses were nice and secure. Car felt particulary quick at 20psi and certanly a good shakedown... :lol:

Braveheart

Got the suspention geometry and car mapped yesterday.
Vss Irvine made a great job bolting everything back on (whole underside was removed and replaced) as there was nothing untoward when we check the initial setting....
Perfectly drivable. :thumbsup:
I was not able to obtain the camber setup I wanted however (-2.5 front, -1.5 rear) as I am using GAB struts and there was not enough adjustment on the camber bolts. The car was setup with 0.04 toe all round, -1deg camber front and -0.5 rear. I will try different camber bolts and possibly fit two adjustment bolt on each strut or get the grinder out... ;-)

As for the mapping, that went well.
We decided to aim for a safe 350bhp at the flywheel.
The mainline dyno that Russ uses measures the power at the wheels and the fudge factor for the GTiR is a whopping 90bhp for flywheel power... :shock: So the figure we where looking for on the dyno at the wheels was 260bhp.

First run at 0.7bar (10psi) the car made 194bhp at the wheels (approx 280bhp@tfw) and the fueling looked pretty good so we left that and went for the target figure of 350 which was easily acheived.
At 1.1bar (16psi) after some small fueling tweeks the car made 258bhp@ the wheel = approx 350bhp @ the flywheel.
Injector duty cycle was 67% so the car has a bit more to give.. ;-)

I have some videos and stuff of the map but there is something wrong with our broadband at inversnaid exchange as we are all limping along with little to no connection speed at the moment.. :cry:

Last edited:
Excellent matey, good results. Will see the graph when you get it up.

Am back their on saturday for a rolling road day, so will see what i get, and am running 1.2 bar.So be good to see what i get :)

John

That with a 3inch elbow Scott? Think thats all mine needs to smash the 400bhp barrier, your results are pretty impressive for such low boost.

Braveheart

3" elbow... yes. AM Performance elbow, down/mid pipe hooking up to mongoose.
Russ reckoned it could make 400+ without too much tweeking.