Transmission problem

retepetsir

Following on from this thread:

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59482

I've now had time to raise the car up on axle stands and see what's going on with the wheels.

In neutral the fronts turn freely. However the rear wheels are very hard to turn and you can also hear a grinding noise when doing so. This could be the LSD but then they seem unusually stiff.

I wasn't there at the time, but my father started the engine with all 4 wheels off the ground and said that all the wheels turned freely in all gears when off the ground.

I know it was certainly a problem when it was on the ground though. It did also seem very hard to push the car when in neutral on the ground.

Would the problem with the rear axle mean that the transfer box has gone?

When driving the car back into the garage it was easy to reverse but nearly impossible to drive forward.

I need to be able to get the car up onto a tow truck and then back down the other end at a garage for it to be repaired. Any ideas on how I could do this? I don't want to get it stuck on the truck!

I almost need to have the rear axle lifts off the ground but wouldn't know how to do this.

Any help is appreciated.

punkcav

most likely where you hear the grinding noise is where the problem is at. So find the source of the grinding noise

retepetsir

Hi Ed.

As discussed, definitely not the brakes binding! I'll give you a call on Wednesday to arrange next week. I can confirm the noise is coming from the front and it certainly doesn't sound pretty. The car has a few issues which need sorting out (want a new FMIC setup, etc) but would like this sorted first.

Cheers

Fusion Ed

Just thought I would follow this up. Had the car up on the ramp today. I had looked at the car and suspected that the transfer box was seizing up. So first thing I did was to drain the oil, so removed the drain plug and sure enough NOTHING CAME OUT.

Whoever did the clutch change on this last forgot to fill the transfer box up with oil. It was totally dry nothing on the plug at all except for some pieces of nice shiny metal.

I think the problem has been found....

I

iomegalinux

oohhh i'll check mine also, i'm pretty sure of a leakage at the driving shaft coming out of the transfert case.

retepetsir

Thanks Ed as always. The look of surprise on your face was priceless!

In some ways I'm glad it's the transfer box and not the gearbox. The clutch was fairly new so it was obviously a bad lapse of concentration on their part.

Will speak to you next week.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They probably didn't realise the two aren't joined, so when they topped the gearbox up the assumed the transfer case was filled too.

Fusion Ed

Thats what I was thinking. I have a feeling the gearbox oil was re-used as well. It looked much older than it should have done...

retepetsir

That's not good either. Hopefully you don't mind refilling it with all new decent oil?

Once it's back up and rolling then I wouldn't mind trying on the dyno first to see how it's doing (as you suggested), then go from there with NIStune and a new FMIC/pipework.

retepetsir

Anyone for some filings? !!!

Ed @ Fusion has no replaced the transfer box and its running again :).

However, got him to also install NIStune and run it on the dyno to see how its doing. Mapped fine.....but we've confirmed that the headgasket has probably gone :(

The radiator went a couple of months ago and I replaced that first as it was the easiest thing to do (as you all recommended), but this is the first time the car has been stressed since the transfer box went.

Now to get the head off :(