tranny diff out? - quicky!

GTiR-Aholic

Hi Guys,

First time i'm opening end casing on my tranny to do a clutch job.. heard it's easier. Anyways I got end case off which shows the diff and bearing.. there was 2 shims on the end of it I catched them don't worry lol.

My question is.. all the bolts are off but it seems I can't get the diff to move out.. do I have to take the propshaft and casing from the propshaft off first? - Because there's a shaft that way too..

I've hammered it quite a bit with a mallet and it opens from the bottom wide but the top stays closed - maybe it's because there's dowls in the top but just wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting anything?

GTiR-Aholic

It's okay.. re-read the guide.. once end casing off the diff comes out - no need to take the next bit of casing off with the dowls in it.. :D lol.. jus grabbed the diff and pry'd it out nice and slow.. the shaft has come out with it but there's a male shaft left inside.. do I pull that out too?

GTiR-Aholic

SORRY again.. lol - ran out to have another quick look.. that other male end is the shaft which connects to n/s driveshaft :$... all done.. on with the job!

jjs

hi, how long did it take, ? i usually drop the whole gearbox and engine , just replaced a gearbox, 12 hours .

GTiR-Aholic

Well I was at it last night for about 4-5 hours taking the box out. But saying that I was working realllly slow as it was after I had done a 9-7 shift at my garage and finished working on customers cars. I was in between working on my box, answering emails and checking the gtiroc forum :)

I've always done it box + tranny together out.. not hard really but I injured my back recently and didn't want to lift something so heavy.. i prefer it this way now lol.

saddler

Well I was at it last night for about 4-5 hours taking the box out. But saying that I was working realllly slow as it was after I had done a 9-7 shift at my garage and finished working on customers cars. I was in between working on my box, answering emails and checking the gtiroc forum :)

I've always done it box + tranny together out.. not hard really but I injured my back recently and didn't want to lift something so heavy.. i prefer it this way now lol.
where is the post on how to do this please

GTiR-Aholic

It's all here mate:
http://www.sr20-forum.com/gtir/713-how-gtir-clutch-engine-situ.html

Make sure when you take off the n/s driveshaft.. you take out the inner shaft too - I removed wheel and disconnected hub from suspension leg when doing this to leverage myself enough room for the shaft to come all the way out. The back mounting by the bulk head has 1 bolt securing gearbox and 2 on the transfer.. take that mount off to get the two bolts off the top of the tranny seperating the box + tranny.. then put the mount back on but ONLY screw the two mount bolts on the far side so that it holds the tranny up and not the box.. the rest is a breeeze :)

I'd like to re-write this but I feel it's adequate for anyone whose handy with a spanner.

GTiR-Aholic

well the box is out for some time because I managed to snap all 8 ARP flywheel bolts!!.. I've ordered replacements to be here for Thursday but currently wrestling with the crank to get the threaded bolts out.

I will try take a few pics.. when putting it back together then simply reverse it to build the how to guide :)