Toyo 888s

T

Tone

I am currently getting a GTIR ready for track day only use, I am fitting 195 50 15 toyo 888 SG tyres and want to know what pressure to run them at?

MarkTurbo

Its a bit trial and error really but i'd start with something like 32/33 psi in the front and 30 in the rear ;-)

Its a good idea to check the pressures as soon as you come off the track, if its a dry day you might find with the heat in the tyres the pressures have risen by 5/6psi or more (unless they're inflated with nitrogen) Then its upto you, if you want the tyres to last longer you could leave them at a slightly higher pressure but if you dont care about how long they last and want grip you could always drop the pressure a bit ;-)

GINGA

I wouldn't bother with the r888's for use as a track day tyre as they overheat and go off after not many laps, you'd be better off with yoko a048 or Dunlop dz02g's as there more suited to sustained track work.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Now i've just bought some new tyres today.. Went with the R888.. Some say they go off but others i have spoken to say that they are fine..

A048 - can't get in my size 205/40/R17

DZ02G - expensive and don't last long and don't come in my size 205/40/R17

Should be fine with that 195/50/R15 though...

Rishi

GINGA

Depends on the weight of the car really, light cars like elise's, westfeilds etc will be fine on them but heavy 4wd cars like evo's tend to overheat them, there superb road and sprint/time attack tyres but just can't take sustained laps. Might be ok on a R as there a fair bit lighter, I just wouldn't be happy having to have to slow down every couple of laps to let them cool down again :( having said that I did a fair few laps on brands on r888's and I never felt them go off but they did start to disintegrate at a alarming rate :shock:

Last edited:

Rishi

Thats fair.. These are being used for Time Attack so should be fine for me.. Couple of hot laps and a then some cool down runs.. Also the car should be around the 1100kg mark..

Rishi

GINGA

They should be great for time attack 8) the dunlops are probably alittle faster on a warm dry day but if its damp or wet they will struggle, where the 888's will still work superbly 8)

Rishi

Warm, dry, sunny day in Scotland are you kidding! :lol: R888 sounds like good choice!... :D

Rishi