Toyo 888s or slicks

dencon

Am thinking of going on slicks for hillclimbing. Problem being costs of about £900 for A15s Avons. Anyone able to give savings in time of slicks over Toyo,s All my competeters seem to be on slicks now that I am in the fully modified class. Fully rebuilt car going like a dream. Driver still lacking in confidence in car and brakes. cheers den.

frp

surely you would be better pushing the car and existing tyres to the limit whilst gaining confidence in your car. and put your money towards brakes if they aren't up to the job.
steve

Jon Olds

Tarmac rally tyres would be a compromise. Stiffer sidewalls than trackday tyres. Mid way price wise. Dunlop CR311 in X22?

P

pulsarboby

i can get slicks or cut slicks for around £120 a set if needed.
they are 17' and 235 wide so you will need to roll the arches at least as they will not clear them and youll be rubbing out.
they have only done 1 btcc event and most are good for a couple days racing at least
pm me if you want the guys number, he also has as new tyres that are nothing like 900 a set (not even half that).
you dont have to pay silly money to be competetive!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Am thinking of going on slicks for hillclimbing. Problem being costs of about £900 for A15s Avons. Anyone able to give savings in time of slicks over Toyo,s All my competeters seem to be on slicks now that I am in the fully modified class. Fully rebuilt car going like a dream. Driver still lacking in confidence in car and brakes. cheers den.
The only issue I’d have with slicks is that when you set off cold they have very little grip and you might find it harder to gain traction until they warm up. Depending on how long the hillclimb, they might only start to obtain grip until the end…

I’ve used A048R’s (similar to R888’s) and they too need a little time to warm and offer their full potential.

I’d just stick some Hancook RS2’s on for now and hone your skills, doing that will serve you better in the long run.

If your brakes are poor, then depending on budget, I’d look for some grooved discs, Mintex 1155 pads all round and braded lines all round as a start off point.
If your getting too much heat build up them look at the Wilwood set-up or similar.

hkspulsar

Contact protyre (www.protyre.co.uk) dont think they advertise them on there website so you would have to call them. Couple of mates from the MLR got sets of scrubbed slicks for something like £120 on 17" rims, and thats for Dunlops or Michellins (the dunlops are from the BTCC and the michellins from a porsche cup I think), When we done track day at Spa they were awesome.

Getting a set for mine when I start doing track days, as went out in a car with cut slicks then in a car with full slicks there was no comparing them. Definitely a good idea getting them in my opinion.

dencon

Thanks lads for comments. Sorry I did not explain correctly. My car has superb brakes but driver is still suffering with nerves after last years massive crash. The car is now fully modified and runs in the big car class where you can use any tyre. The Avon A15 compound grips almost from start, and this is why they are so expensive new. I have been competing for over 20 years now and do not like comming second, with 17 wins in 19 events in my last full year before crash. At Wiscombe two weeks ago I was about two seconds of my best pace, but a Werrington last weekend I was only about 1/2 a second off my best, so I am getting better, but I think I need the slicks. cheers den.

P

pulsarboby

why not invest in a set of tyre warmers!!! then you can really have it straight from the off.
when i was racing bikes they were a must have item with slicks as one lap wasnt enough to get heat into them.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
but driver is still suffering with nerves after last years massive crash.

I have been competing for over 20 years now and do not like comming second, with 17 wins in 19 events in my last full year before crash.
A good friend of mine had a large accident earlier this year and he had lost his confidence when it came to driving at speed.
However, he has gained his "balls" back, but that was down to pushing him outside his comfort zone, it’s taken a little time, but he's back.

Perhaps you might have something in common?