too much fuel, i think!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's Biodiesel rather than petrol.

...plus that Pistonheads thread confirms what I said. Although they don't seem to have made the obvious connection that the bad fuel in the Cayman wasn't a Shell problem it was an issue with that service station.

It's not whichcraft of voodoo, it's just a blend of aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons to give you a balance between burn and anti-knock. If you want to buy some additives you can blend your own at home, but I'm happy with the job Shell do before they let it leave the refinery.

gtirpower

just checked the car out today, it does not have a lambda sensor atall from what i could see, it has a front exit exhaust coming from a top mounted turbo and out the front bumper and i could not see no lambda sensor on that. i have also checked the oil and does not smell of fuel.

but i have noticed the following:

the engine is shaking like a misfire, and there is a very strong smell of petrol when you stand by the engine.

gtirpower

here is a quick video of the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSvhZrCKNWc&feature=channel_video_title

i
have some pics for you guys so you can help me with my problem

this i the dizzy cap, is that how its spouse to be??

this is the pic of the fuel regulator, as you can see 1 pipe is off but i think it has always been like that but not to sure.

another pic of fuel regulator

where does this black pipe go to??

this is the MAP sensor

as you can see no MAF

also have noticed that the AEM air/fuel mixture gauge in the car goes off the green and to the red soon as you rev or drive ( goes to 15.0+ on he gauge and stays there)

i have also checked all the intercooler pipes and all the pipes on the throttle bodies and they are all fine.

what else can i check for??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No! That FPR is supposed to have a hose on it; it won't increase the fuel pressure with boost if it doesn't (so you'll just get more lean as the boost builds).

Also, I'm pretty sure the distributor cap shouldn't look like that; I think all four points are proud on mine... but it might not be a genuine Nissan cap.

This is what my FPR looks like:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Back of the inlet manifold. It needs correcting as off boost is vacumn but like that it'll have atmospheric pressure.

I'm with Danny on the plugs. If iridiums have failed then just bin them as they never work as well again. Buy some copper equivalents, put them in and start again

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just noticed you're mystery black pipe. I can't rememebr if it's oem as my car has never been standard but you could check it for vacumn at idle to get an idea if that's what's come off.

gtirpower

Back of the inlet manifold. It needs correcting as off boost is vacumn but like that it'll have atmospheric pressure.

I'm with Danny on the plugs. If iridiums have failed then just bin them as they never work as well again. Buy some copper equivalents, put them in and start again

Jim
would that cause damage to anything?? is it hard to get to the back of the inlet to fit the pipe on?? would that be causing the over-fueling and cause the black smoke problem??

i have put in the ngk bncr8es and it just done the same thing.

red reading

the map sensor is the one with the blue silicon pipe on it by the fuel pressure reg, the other one in the inlet is the inlet air temp sensor btw

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It was a good quick test but try not to test them for too long or you'll end up needing to clean them.

If you do even a small change to the fuel pressure it has a gross effect on your fuelling. Did you check for any vacumn on the disconnected black pipe?

BTW, for your dizzy cap, whilst it's off give it a quick clean with a screwdriver or suitable tool to clean up the surface.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
yes i can see the blue hose going from it, any idea were it leads/ends to ??
On mine that one is T'd into the same line as the boost gauge (only so that I can see that there is manifold pressure or vacuum, and that it's going to the FPR).

As you can see, the dawes device has it's own vacuum line.

danr

there is a knocking noise, maybe (hopefully) the gearbox input shaft ...?

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Can't tell from the video. If you've not done it already get a long wooden stick and use it like a stethascope to identify the source of the knocking when you're engine's running.

gtirpower

It was a good quick test but try not to test them for too long or you'll end up needing to clean them.

If you do even a small change to the fuel pressure it has a gross effect on your fuelling. Did you check for any vacumn on the disconnected black pipe?

BTW, for your dizzy cap, whilst it's off give it a quick clean with a screwdriver or suitable tool to clean up the surface.
the there is no vecum on the back pipe, i have gave it a quick clean but didnt make much difference.

gtirpower

the rattle in the video is the head, it needs shimming up badly, was going to get around to doing that after i figured out what the current problem is with the car.