Too much boost with Dawes device?

G

GazTi-R

I have just switched from a bleed valve to Dawes device to control boost. Problem is I cant adjust it to any less than 17 psi :?
It's fitted in the same line as the bleed valve used to be, and that worked perfectly.

Any ideas?
Cheers.

Shaun

:D Hi Gaz,i've heard of this before,if i remember right,you have to dismantle the dawes device and where the ball sits in the socket,there is sometimes burrs made in the manufacture and the ball dosent sit flush :!: Now again if i remember right to remove them use the pointed end of a ballpoint pen with the refill removed :!: :wink:

paz

that device wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence once attached to my car if its prone to getting stuck at 17psi :shock:

paz

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
It doesn't get stuck at all. The problem is that in the manufacturing process the brass of the device can be left with small burs around the sharp edges of the valve and the ball will not seat in the valve properly.

When I got mine I unscrewed the 2 ends apart, inside you'll find a small spring and a pea size ceramic ball, remove the spring and leave the ball in the tapered end. Now get a biro and pull the refill out so your left with just the tube, put one end of the biro tube on the ceramic ball and lightly twist the biro tube so it moves the ball, this should help seat the ball so it can form a seal in the valve, now put the valve back together and follow any instructions you might have to set it up.

Davey

it's still pretty poor that you have to do that to get a new product to work properly :shock:
How much are these, apparently, they are just a pressure release valve, that you can buy from a plumbers/pneumatics place fr about £2.50 :?

G

GazTi-R

There was no burr inside, but there was a smal hole drilled into the housing :? It must've been bleeding boost aswell as springing open. Anyway, a small tapper to block the hole and all is well.

Cheers,
Gaz.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I take it then you don't have fitting instructions????????????????

That little hole has to be there for the device to work properly.

It sounds like you have the valve round the wrong way on the pipes. The elbow with the small hole in it has to be at the end closest to the turbo.

G

GazTi-R

Fitting instructions were included and followed. Tried the bl%dy thing both ways round. Logical way round was with the "ball" end facing toward the plenum, which is how it is now. Anyway it works now, and I get full boost substantially earlier than with the bleed valve.

Gaz.

G

GazTi-R

Got it off Ebay :roll:
As I said earlier, I blocked off the hole with a small self tapping screw and it works fine. Getting better mpg now too, need less right foot now it comes on boost earlier :D