timing

nismoboy

if the dizzy is in the wrong place ie not set at 20 degrees, would this be made right by adjusting the timing on the power fc?

coz i was just thinking that i set my timing up myself just roughly to get it running right because after my rebuild the timing was out and i had several garages try to set it up but every time i got the car back it ran crap, so i was conviced they were not doing it properly so i did it myself,the car hesitated on boost but asoon as i advanced it a few degrees it ran perfect apart from a high idle which is probably another problem. Anyway since then its been to several tuning companies and had a power fc fitted etc and been set up for more boost. But my dizzy is still on the original mark i set it at. any ideas? as im wondering if this could be the cause of my missfires.?

A

AJ4

AFAIK, the FC just adds or subtracts to the base timing, ie, whatever the dizzy is set at. Sounds like you have it set ok now :D. For the FC to work right you have to set the dizzy and FC to read the same.

If you advanced the timing, the idle will normally rise anyway, so that sounds ok.

nismoboy

AJ4 said:
AFAIK, the FC just adds or subtracts to the base timing, ie, whatever the dizzy is set at. Sounds like you have it set ok now :D. For the FC to work right you have to set the dizzy and FC to read the same.

If you advanced the timing, the idle will normally rise anyway, so that sounds ok.
nice one thanks for that.

about the idle though, if i retarded the timing a little the idle would drop but the car ran crap, so i had to advance it to get it to run smooth on boost, so the idle problem must be somthing else not the timing.

A

AJ4

nismoboy said:
about the idle though, if i retarded the timing a little the idle would drop but the car ran crap, so i had to advance it to get it to run smooth on boost, so the idle problem must be somthing else not the timing.
yep, sounds about right :D:D:D