Those pipes from throttle bodys to rocker cover

MarkTurbo

I'm just putting my throttle bodies back together at the moment and was sure i read something on here a while ago about removing these pipes. But i've just done a search and cant find anything :?

Its the ones that come off each individual throttle body, link up behind the rocker cover, and then connect to the back of it :wink:

And what was the reason for removing them :?: Other than looking like they dont do much :lol:

Keira

it was something to do with the 2 next to each other, looping them together, discodave did it and reckoned it made fook all difference.

Something to do with emissions ( dont think thats spelt right) , try the search function, think it was ross that was on about it

Nad

I was trying to get some more info and photos on this so someone from Ford who worked on emissions was gonna see weather it was safe to do so and if it was worth doing.

Nad

Mr GTiR

i've seen this conversion done on a few R but have never really understtod why people do it.

is it worth doing? and what are the gains/advantages of this set up?

GINGA

The system scavenges the breathing gases from inside the engine on idle and part throttle etc and can leave oil in your throttle bodies which will obviously slow air speed into the engine and the oil fumes could possibly cause det by removing them you remove the problem, the system can also leak at high boost causing excess pressure in the crankcase etc.
If you do remove it you'd be best to uprate your breather system as it will now be working alot harder as the gases are no longer sucked out the engine.
For more info and pic look here http://www.gti-r.com/Reference/index.htm

Mr GTiR

Going to do this mod in the next few days. Anyone done it yet and can supply pic's? MarkTurbo, Nad??

Was going to use some blue Samco vacum hose, is this ok?

Paul, when you say the breather system has to be uprated, what exactly needs to be uprated?

On mine, i've blanked off the pipe from the air intake to rocker. It now goes from rocker to a oil catch tank and the out let is vented to atmosphire. Is this enough? I'm also still running the factory oil seperator.

MarkTurbo

Mr GTiR said:
On mine, i've blanked off the pipe from the air intake to rocker. It now goes from rocker to a oil catch tank and the out let is vented to atmosphire. Is this enough? I'm also still running the factory oil seperator.
Thats exactly how my breather system is :wink:

I've got a load of pics from when my car was in bits (including these pipes that i've now taken off) i'll get them uploaded and post them up Andy :wink:

D

disco dave

i did this it made one difference my car stand of engine oil fumes form catch tank cos the fumes wernt sucked away they just floated around in engine bay and they stank me out i had a full forge breather system on it and had a rebuilt engine so no comment on fucked engine i like it when u little enstien think of some thing etc if nissan puit it ther its there for a reason did u lot do any reseach and develpomeent on this theory its work if u hada fucked engine

coxie

i did this it made one difference my car stand of engine oil fumes form catch tank cos the fumes wernt sucked away they just floated around in engine bay and they stank me out i had a full forge breather system on it and had a rebuilt engine so no comment on broken engine i like it when u little enstien think of some thing etc if nissan puit it ther its there for a reason did u lot do any reseach and develpomeent on this theory its work if u hada broken engine
ask neil r on here he did this about 500 miles or so ago smelt for approx two week but after that just normal. :D

D

disco dave

thats most probley cos he got used to the smell mate it wnt go away itl stay the same or get worse

coxie

:? :roll: no way...the smell definately went as every time i saw the car the oil fume smell could not be smelt as much ...ie now i cant smell it at all when i se him 8)

nismoboy

ive done away with the pipes at the back of the rocker cover and have had no probs since. I have the forge breather system and its fine no fumes at all 8)

MarkTurbo

I've done away with those pipes now but i havent really driven the car yet so its too early to tell if it smells of oil fumes or not.

But even if it does, who cares :lol: Its better than having oil being chucked into the inlet :wink:

Mr GTiR

Mark, let me know how it goes as i've not had chance to do this mod yet. Engine is only going back in the car this week.

MarkTurbo

Heres the pipes i removed Andy, i've just got rubber bungs blocking off the holes they fitted on to at the moment.

I'm going to the autosport show today so i wont have chance to mess about with it til tomorrow, i'll pm you about it later though :wink: