Swap to the VE Head useful???

Thor

Hello!

here in germany is a guy who has swap the RNN14 head against the VE head but is it useful swap the ported and polished head against the VE head? I don´t know how much flow rating (CFM) the VE and the RNN14 head have. Anyone can tell me more?

Thanks
Sascha

niz1342

Hi first it depends what VEhead he has there are 5 different types ,if the port and polished gtir head is against the standard ve head the gtir head will be better some of the ve heads the inlet and exhaust valve are smaller by 1mm but a port and polished vehead is better becoz high valve stability (rockers not falling out and breaking rnn14head) hope this helps

warpspeed

I'm just looking into the possibility of importing these fae america, i have a friend who imports american motorhomes, so could easily fit a few heads in them, i am speaking to him tomorrow so will take it from there. Can anyone give me info on what cars the ve heads were fitted to in usa, the more possible models i have the better as i won't be going over there to buy them for a while yet and will be relying on my mate to get them do want to make his life as easy as possible since he would be doing me the favour.

sr16ve and sr20ve heads are the same just different cams, the N1 head is the same but ported from the factory and has wilder cams. The 20V (later sr20ve) and VET heads are both different. The most common varient is the early sr20ve which was in production from '97 to '01 and was fitted to the Primera, Bluebird and Wingroad.

niz1342

the N1 head has been cut 1mm from factory (hence higher cr) the VET head has only 1 selonoid for the vtec on the inlet ,the exhaust is solid no vtec this is the head you would want for high bhp but change the cams and add vtec to the exhaust side (rockers)from any of the other heads ,this head is more effecient and better cooling .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
it doesnt matter all ve heads will bolt on to the SR block
With no modifying? I thought the bolt holes needed modifying, or is that something for the SX owners?

I think I understand my confusion now though; it must be that people were suggesting the 16VE cam profile is better rather than the head?

Thor

The head you can bolt on the SR20 block without problems but our throttle has another position and you must have an adaptor to fit them. Our throttle must fit diagonally upward and the VE has straight flange on it. Maybe the head bolt studs only must modify if they are 11mm.

Last edited:
Port shapes are different on the inlet so either need to make an adaptor, use the ve manifold or an aftermarket one. The bolt holes also need to be re-drilled for the larger head bolts used on GTiR engine. There is also an additional oil way in the ve head which needs to be block and an external oil line run down the back of the block. I'm not sure but I think the exhaust manifold might need a coupe of the holes elongating as the studs on the ve head look to be in slightly different positions. I think that covers all of it, if not I'm sure niz1342 will correct me as he's done the conversion.