Suspension, creeking and knocking

bensmith907

hard to say about feed back as there is a wobble in the steering but does not relate to the sound.

ok thanks, I appreciate the trouble in diagnosis over the tinterweb just wanted to get some Ideas about it really

pulsar_stu

The rumble does dosnt it Bob.
But if there's play in the steeringwheel it could also be the lowerball joints couldn't it?

The creaking sounds like Martyn said, the tops of the suspension. The rubber has most likley perished and the springs are now rubbing on the top plates.

P

pulsarboby

true but if you listen to it again its speed related and gets louder the faster the car goes. problem with 4wd is that unlike 2wd its difficult to spin the wheels and detect bearing rumble when cars jacked up which is why it normally does not get picked up on an mot.
youll also get steering wobble if theres any play in the bearing

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the hub nuts are tight, then I'd move on to looking at the bearings because it sounds hub related to me too.

Jack the car up and pull on the wheel? That way you can tell if there's excessive play and maybe get a feeling as to where it is.

pulsar_stu

What grease did you use to plug everything when you had the engine out Ben?
Some greases arnt designed for use on cars are they?
Wondering if you've used something that's turned into an abrasive from the heat generated while driving?
Or am I talking bollox as usual? :lol:

bensmith907

So so. I've taken apart the fwd rh hub and put it back together. Found the disks are cracked.but now I've put it back together the noise has stopped!

Coincidently I've just been offered some willwoods midilights?? Are these compatible with the pulsar?

johnsy

i had a similar noise, more noticeable at higher speeds like a loud humming from the passenger side footwell, I replaced the hub for a known good one and fitted a new cv joint, this solved my problem,

are any of your cv joint boots split?

bensmith907

Nope. Curious! I'm putting it down to something being loose as its just completly stopped. Also I think the disks I have a warped