Suspension, creeking and knocking

bensmith907

Sometimes I swear im the unluckyiest Pulsar owner there is-

I have a suspension problem now. when I accelerate and brake there's a knocking from the driverside footwell and when I move in very slow traffic there is a creek when the wheels rotate. Ive looked at all the bushings on the lower wishbone and the roll bar with no faults. where next? how do you check the upper bushings?

thanks in advance,

ben

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Take a look at nut on the end of the drive shaft; have you had the hubs off at some point? - There aren't really any other bushes on the front suspension, it's a pretty simple configuration.

Last time I had something like this it was sorted by my putting a socket on the hub nut... then a breaker bar... then standing on it.

wrc

Has this problem occurred since you've had your engine out Ben?

Anything you've removed/unbolted I would recheck. Obviously when you are accelerating/braking you are putting load on/taking load off components and something now has developed play...

bensmith907

the knocking has been there since I got the car but- up untill recently it only happened when I reversed off the drive with full right lock. now it happens every time I brake and accelerate. the creeking is new since the engine.

what I did notice when changing my engine is the transfer box mounting bracket (near the oil filter housing) has no Bolts attaching it to the box Im thinking that maybe this and my shot engine mounts aren't helping. but it really feels like something on the front o/s suspension

Last edited:

bensmith907

right thats checked, nothing found!

however Ive had another good look about the front suspension and played about with the wheels etc.. and when I move the wheels full lock theres a creeking coming from the top of both struts a bit like a rusty door hinge noise

bensmith907

are they expensive and is it worth getting up rated ones (if available)? excuse my ignorance as I know sweet bugger all about suspension.

wrc

Definatly worth getting uprated ones, adjustable units. Then you can have a fiddle with your camber :)

bensmith907

Ok so recent developments are the creaking from the suspension has now changed into a grinding noise (hear video) the knocking is still there when accelerating and stopping.
Video was at about 10 mph down in the drivers footwell in a straight line. it was easy to ignore a week ago, but now I have to pretend im in a steam train for it not to irritate me

Last edited:

wrc

weirdly ben, to me that sounds more transmission/driveshaft/cv joint related?

does it continue at higher speeds? does it go away or get worse round corners..?

edit: from what i can make out, the noise is in rotation with wheel speed, thats why i say..

Last edited:

bensmith907

weirdly ben, to me that sounds more transmission/driveshaft/cv joint related?

does it continue at higher speeds? does it go away or get worse round corners..?

edit: from what i can make out, the noise is in rotation with wheel speed, thats why i say..
this would be my guess too as it relates to speed rather than surfaces. continues at higher speeds, changes pitch round corners

edit- All aboarrrrd!

wrc

Can you feel anything through the wheels or pedals? or is it literally just a noise?

Transmission related will usually give you some sort of feedback through the wheel/pedals.

Without being in the car and looking, armchair diagnosis will be quite hard with this sort of one.

The big clue is that its in rotation with the wheels...