Suspected water pump failure

Hi guys I'm in need of opinion please.

My Pulsar has recently become my daily driver and has performed fantastically until the other day.

Driving on the M1 at around 65mph and noticed the temp oil gauge getting a little higher than normal. Continued on my journey watching the needle get progressively higher and higher until I could pull over safely. When I did get to stop there was steam coming from the engine bay with the oil temp needle almost hitting the max!

I let the car cool, checked the expansion bottle to find it empty of coolant, took the rad cap off to find this also had lost some. I then proceeded in filling the system to checking for leaks to find a small dribble from underneath which I put down to me missing when pouring. I'd recently put on a second hand rad as mine had sprung a leak so thought i'd maybe not bled the system properly and that this was the cause.

On the journey home (16 miles) I kept a keen eye on the gauge and all was normal. I checked the coolant level and this was OK.

After driving for another 3 weeks (400 ish miles) today I encounter the same rise in oil temp. I nurse her home to find that fluid was down again. Once again I topped her up to find coolant escaping from the bottom of the car from somewhere. I suspected the water pump as I've also noticed an unfamiliar noise recently.

My questions are:

• Would you agree with my diagnosis
  • Is it a hard job to replace (have done a lot of forum searches and can't find too much)
  • Could the high oil temp have had any adverse effects on other components

Thanks in advance

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could be one of the many hoses. I think I had one that leaked intermittently. Think that one was one of the heater hoses possibly. It didn't seem to leak until I moved it with a jack handle from the passenger wheel arch area. One of the hoses on the back (oil cooler ones) also drips onto the exhaust and evaporates so you don't notice it. Have a good check of all the hoses before you change the pump.

If you have a decent engine oil in there, it shouldn't be a problem. What temp did it go to?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Think that one was one of the heater hoses possibly. It didn't seem to leak until I moved it with a jack handle from the passenger wheel arch area. One of the hoses on the back (oil cooler ones) also drips onto the exhaust and evaporates so you don't notice it. Have a good check of all the hoses before you change the pump.
?
I've had this problem; leak spraying onto the exhaust, but only when the engine was hot and there was enough pressure in the system. - I only found it when I got lucky by hearing spitting and steaming and poked my head under a hot car.

Until then it was often low on coolant when I looked, but now it's always full.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I only noticed that leak by a slight gurgling sound when I'd switched off, suggesting a low coolant level.
When the big hose with the spring went it pissed out, no missing that one and when the radiator top hose went, it conveniently squirted out of the bonnet vent for me to see.:D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Let's hope mines the same. Where's the best place for a hose set. Would you say Ebay?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Puls...t-Colour-Clip-Choice-/251165057284?nav=SEARCH
I bought mine from eBay, but I can't remember which seller it was. - I just noticed that someone selling them in the UK had sourced the products from somewhere else (Taiwan maybe) so I bought from them instead.

I didn't have the patience to wait for Samco to make a set; I wanted something that was in-stock and ready to ship so that I could repair the car sooner rather than later.

keensie

Just changed my water pump as coolant was leaking around one of the bolts so only visible when parked.

keensie

All good now the old pump was ok but to reseal that one bolt wasn't worth the risk, it's not too bad a job first time for me, don't support engine directly under sump with a block it will dent support on the side flange with rubber on the jack.