Surge tank setup using bosch & standard pump

J

JamesB

Hi guys, im finally getting round to upgrading my fuel pump to run 1 bar boost. Was running standard pump with boost via bleed valve but after a couple weeks it started detting, poping banging etc so i took the bleeder off. It still occasionally dets on standard boost so to be safe i havent used WOT above 4500rpm for a while (no matter how many scoobies pass me). OK, so I know my pumps had it.

I'll be putting a surge tank (cause im racing in hillclimbs) on the rear undertray next to the exhaust back box. I still dont know which bosch pump to use (not getting walbro cause I can get bosch cheaper). What bosch pumps are you guys using. Hoping to get one to cope with about 250kwatw (for the future). Do i have to go for an 044 for this or is there something better suited (and cheaper)????Not sure about using a 910/920 cauce the flow difference at 5 bar is substancial form the 044.

Finally, i wanna run the fuel return line back to the main tank to keep the surge tank fuel cooler. Is my standard (and half shagged) pump running at relatively no pressure going to flow enough to keep my surge tank full enough. Is this setup going to run the surge tank dry cause the bosch pump (despite having a lot higher resistance) will out-flow the other pump?

Ive had a lot of conflicting opinions from experienced people out there so PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
James

Jon Olds

Doing a similar job now.

As a side issue, I'm running the lines through the car now and am going up in pipe diameter, as the text books suggest. Any comments?

ashills

suppose it depends on size of surge tank as to whether the standard pump can keep enough fuel there
wouldnt fancy running fuel lines through car myself but will make life easier i suppose

I

Innovate Performance

You could try running a skyline GTR pump they give good fuel pumping rate. but the tried and tested 044 works every time.

I would run you fuel line on the under side of the car that way you have some protection and also the rules and regulation may not allow you to with out fire protection.

Nad

FIA regulations state generally that there are to be no unions(joints) within the 'cockpit' area, so running pipes through is ok. If they are under the car they must be protected.

Nad

P.S. Jon, what book is this ;)

Jon Olds

Through the car they have gone gone. Braided lines. Its std practise on off road compatible race/rally cars.
Turbocharging by A Graham Bell. On loan, must return it soon...