sump emptying though dump valve

T

treemonkey

Lost most of my oil in about 10 miles, accompanied by misfire on cylinder adjacent to dizzy. Plug dripping oil.

Oil all over head and block adjacent to turbo, has sprayed out of the dump valve, was dripping out of the intercooler when I removed it and coated boost controller filters (HKS evc 5, attached to plenum and after butterflies.

Which bit have I broken?

MarkTurbo

Is there just oil on the plug in one of the cylinders? If so it sounds like one of the pistons has gone and the extra crankcase pressure is chucking out oil through the breather system/dumpvalve etc

Do a compression test ;-)

T

treemonkey

the other plugs were sooty but not oily, I'll borrow a compression tester. duff piston sounds expensive:sad: . Thanks

P

pulsarboby

yep agree with mark, i would say a piston has a hole melted through it, to chuck that much oil up! in which case you will have very low compression may even be zero!
whatever plug is oiled up is the one thats gone.

marcymarc

treemonkey said:
you dont thinks its a blown seal on the tubby?

Doubt it, there would of been more smoke pouring out of the exhaust than a fookin bond car if it was a turbo seal.

T

treemonkey

Thanks for your advice guys. Carried out compression test, nothing on the number 4 piston:shock: . Ive only been running a bar.

Looks like forged pistons and I'll do the con rods while i'm in there kind of thing;-). Whats a good make (can't stretch to HKS) and wheres a good place to get them?

J

jpward

treemonkey said:
Thanks for your advice guys. Carried out compression test, nothing on the number 4 piston:shock: . Ive only been running a bar.

Looks like forged pistons and I'll do the con rods while i'm in there kind of thing;-). Whats a good make (can't stretch to HKS) and wheres a good place to get them?
CP
JE
Weisco Pistons

Par Crower or eagle rods

Erics-Performance-parts on fleebay