stubborn manifold bolt !

pete-r

as the title suggests.ive got all the bolts out bar one,it just wont come off :x .any ideas?ive been putting 2 nuts on and tightening them together the undoing the one nearest the block which usually undoes the bolt.ive tried soaking it with wd40 but still no joy.any help would be appreciated as my new turbo is due on tomorrow.

J

jiw

Any chance you can warm the engine up, should ease the stud in the alloy

J

jiw

wouldnt heat one spot up at a time, when the casting cools it could crack :shock:

Shaun

:D Hi mate,if it's the ones that are in the manifold that hold the turbo on then i know its a pain,but remove the manifold,get it in a vice and try to remove it with a pair of molegrips,if it is still tight and the molegrips slip,then get some oxy/accetalene and heat the manifold up around the bottom of the offending stud until the manifold glow's red and the put the molegrips on while its still glowing and you will find this will do the trick :D

Hope this helps.

pete-r

AAAGGGHHH :x :x fuc$in b o l l o x! ive been at it all afternoon and it wont budge.it goes into the garage tomorrow for a clutch and flywheel so ill leave it to them to do.its the bolts that are in the block shaun,the ones that hold the manilfold to the block.

j10gtr

I am a little unsure of what you exactly asking Pete

Are you talking about the exhaust manifold?

The manifold is held on by nuts and washers that are tightened onto the studs in the cylinder head.

Why do you want to remove the studs are you fitting a spacer or somthing as you shouldnt need to remove the studs.

Thanks
Paul

pete-r

j10gtr said:
I am a little unsure of what you exactly asking Pete

Are you talking about the exhaust manifold?

The manifold is held on by nuts and washers that are tightened onto the studs in the cylinder head.

Why do you want to remove the studs are you fitting a spacer or somthing as you shouldnt need to remove the studs.

Thanks
Paul
yeah i should have put in a bit more detail.it is the manifold studs into the cylinder head and yes im fitting a spacer so the original ones are too short.

J

John Mc

Have you tried Plusgas? It's much better than WD40.

Make sure you give a bloody good soaking though and leave for a few hours.

Also try tapping the stud on the end with a hammer whilst trying to loosen it :wink:

geoff pine

freezer spray[ b and.q ]plumbing section about 7 pound a tin make sure it has the tube with it you can then just spray the stud.