Strange one - measurements?

G

GTI-R Kid

In keeping with the majority of threads I start, this is probably another one that no-one will be able to answer:doh: But I'll throw it up anyway in the slight hope that maybe this isn't an impossible question.

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Really didn't know where to put it as it combines a bit of tuning, styling and ice too. Figured the safest bet was to throw it in here and hope it doesn't get deleted.:pray:

With all the rest of the work we're planning and doing to our car, one thing that will be done is the relocation of the battery to the boot. Given that space is lacking there to begin with, we're after sourcing a reasonably compact sub unit, and hope to keep the spare wheel too. However, when you add a battery into the mix it all becomes a bit tight so we need to find out just what size battery we could fit in there.

Below is a bodge-job which kinda mimics the shape of the boot floor in the GTI-R. As you can see from the image, we have a good idea of the layout we'd like (if we can) but as our car is over 100 miles away at the moment I can't get measurements myself.

What we need to know (to calculate the biggest size battery that will fit) are the following dimensions, and if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Would mean we can get the battery long before we're working on the car again and save a little time too.

(a) Depth of boot from behind the seats to the very back of the floor
(b) Length from the left side of the boot to the spare wheel
(c) Depth of the little alcove on the left side of the boot

Any help appreciated.:thumbsup:

Fazz

Rob - Waht the hell is the spare wheel doing there???

Get rid of it. In all likelihood you have better brakes now and the spare wheel won't fit over the disc! Happened one of the lads at the rolling road!

Get that tyre spray stuff, keep a couple bottles and get rid of the spare wheel...

That'll give you the space you want..

And if not, then what the hell are you doing with small brake discs! Sort that lively! :)

Mr GTiR

Rob, please bear in mind the angle of the back seat so your sub box is not going to be a perfect square.

If you go for a sealed box you need less volume but a ported box will go lower but require more space.

As already said get rid of the spare wheel.

If your feeling brave pm me as i have an idea for a sub box which should work and will look stealth ;-)

G

GTI-R Kid

Ok, one by one.

oldaneal - would appreciate it if you could mate.:thumbsup:

Fazz - spare is there, because even when we have the brakes sorted it will still fit on the rear. So while more awkward, if we get a flat up front we'll swap it with one of the rear wheels and stick the donut on the rear.;-) Will probably get some of the tyre spray stuff too, just wouldn't want to be completly relying on it. Plan may change in the future, but for now its staying.

Ben - you're right:lol:

Andy - cheers for the offer mate, but we already have the sub box for the job. Mac Audio Compact 225.

Leading edge of it is slanted so it will fit almost perfectly flush with the rear of the seat, with the other 3 sides perfectly vertical. We have a Compact 220 (8" version) fitted in the Ka and were quite impressed with the sound from it which is why we've gone for the slightly larger 10" version for the GTI-R. Built in Class D amp so no messing around with wires either. We're not after earth shattering sounds, just something a bit better that will improve the bass without a heavy ass box in the rear.8)

oldaneal

a is 73 cm
b is 60 cm (55 to edge of plastic tray)
c is 10 cm
edge of sub box to wheel 40 (35 to edge of tray)

the only other thing is the spare wheel can be rotated round slighty to get a bit more or less space than that