Strange det sensor problem!

mds

Good evening

If any one can shed some light on the problem i am having it would be much appreciated!

I have done a search and although there are a few posts with some similarities my problem differs slightly.
I had the det senor changed as fault code 3,4 appeared. I put a brand new sensor in. I then cleared the ecu memory so it showed 5,5.
I took the car for a drive and retested 3,4 showed again. I once again cleared it to show 5,5 and redrove the car again fault code3,4.
This time i pulled the keys out of the ignition and then immediately put them back in and turned the ignition till the check engine light came on, i then did another fault code check but this time it came back clear.(THIS IS WHAT DIFFERS FROM ALL OF THE POSTS I SEARCHED)
Obviously this time i had not disconnected the battery to clear the codes stored yet just by taking the key out it cleared them is this normal? I was under the understanding that once the code is stored unless the battery is disconnected or using someother method to clear the codes the fault code will be stored.
After this i drove the car home and re did the fault code check again 3,4.
I am totally perplexed.
The guy that did the work checked all the wiring as has been suggested in other posts.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Poor fuel? If the car goes into knock mode, and it still sees or thinks it sees knock this error will come up. Is your engine rattly or anything like that?

mds

The car is always run on shell v power, it my fourth pulsar and does'nt seem rattley from what i can tell. I dont understand the key incident that i described unless i am being a prat and that once the car is turned off all codes are cleared!

Fusion Ed

Try that again, the code should stay logged, but remember once you have read the codes they are removed when you exit consult read, so your kind of stuck trying to test this :)

Braveheart

After my Knock sensor was changed, I did a fault code check by shorting the two pins for a couple of seconds and low and behold, error code 34 came up. :shock:
I then shorted the two pins again for about 10 seconds to clear the ECU and have not had any fault code since.

If your sure the wire to the DET sensor and to the ECU is ok then maybe the new sensor that was fitted is faulty.

My faulty DET sensor would only fail when I drove the car in anger.
Try clearing the fault and driving the car calmly (like a woman) and check fault codes.
Also, when you have error 34 is the car running rough. i.e. has the ignition timing retarded and is the car running very rich. (strong petrol vapour at tail pipe)

mds

Hi

i have tried shorting the pins out again as you suggested and the code keeps coming back. As for driving the car in anger! I tend to do that all the time! If i drive it slowly after it is reset the code does not appear, but this is only if i don't go on full boost. Often i can smell petrol vapour and the car does not seem as quick as before.

Thanks

Braveheart

I hate to say it but, if your sure the wire to the DET sensor and to the ECU is ok and the fuel is good quality and the ignition timing is correct then maybe the new sensor that was fitted is faulty.

I know it's a right footer to change but if I were you, I'd try another new sensor

mds

Oh great!!

I'll re check all the wiring today and if that is the case i will be very upset.
Thanks again for the help.

Braveheart

I'd be upset too. Even more upset though if I changed the sensor again and it did not clear the condition.
Sorry mate... keep us posted!