Stereo set up??

kevgti-r

yeah its my car now:)
but i didnt fit the stereo system, caleb done it all when he owned the car8)
that pic is a old one of it, there is no 6/9" now and the sub is raised in the shelf.

91_GTi-R

there isn't any way you could get me the dimensions on the setup and what sizes your speakers and what it soulds like are im inspired to do the same in my car cause i would like to get rid of the old setup thats in there like this

any little help would be appreacited
cheers alex

gtir_pimp

yeah i would like to know what it sounds like with the sub in the parcel shelf?! i got 6x9s in my shelf and a good sub and amp in the boot which is fookin loud and good quality too

Mr GTiR

Move to the correct section.

Just bear in mind if your mounting a sub on the rear parcel shelf:

1) Make sure it's a free air sub. A regular sub designed to run in a box on the rear parcel shelf will sound cr4p!
2) Free air subs need a bigger amp to run them compared to a regular boxed sub.
3) Make sure the parcel shelf is either reinforced with 1" MDF or better still make a MDf parcel shelf.
4) Do you really want that many speakers on show as some thiefing scumbag will have it quicker than you can say "cI_Int!"
5) Why run 6x9's or any other speaker near the sub as they will be drowned out by the sub!

I know a lad selling a sub box which is moulded for a Pulsar bootfloor if your interested. He's sold his R but kept all the stereo build.

91_GTi-R

the only thing is i'm in canada and you arent but i just thought i could run a setup like that not as many speakers as in that pic and i dont rais the bass alot cause i like to hear it too

lilmark

All you need is a good set of front mids an tweeters powered by an amp an 1 or 2 subs depending on how much bass you want

mine runs infinity mids an tweeters powered of an alpine v12 amp an 2 x 12" alpine type r subs powered of a soundstream referance 408 amp (i think, its been along time since ive looked at it) which sounds alot better than a friends 306 with 6x10" subs an 10 pairs of 7x10 speakers an god knows how many amps his is all kenwood equipment

Remember u get what you pay for aswell

91_GTi-R

so is it better to run one 12 in the shelf with a set of 6x9's?? i really like the way its setup i was thinking a clarion 12" sub clarion 6x9's and a set of 6 1/2's in the front with a clarion amp too... id like to run the same setup as in the first pic cause in putting the battery in the trunk too so im stuck.... i was going to use mdf for the whole shelf but let me know im new to setroe stuff thanks
alex

Mr GTiR

91_GTi-R said:
the only thing is i'm in canada and you arent
:doh: D'oh!, did not spot that.

Set up wise I would go for a good set of componets up front and a set of 6x9 in the rear quarter panels where the back seats are all run off a 4 chanel amp. The 6x9's would be used for rear fill and as they are in the middle of the car won't be drowned out by the sub (s). A 12" sub in a sealed box in the boot powered by a dedicated amp.

As Mark has already said buy quality gear and don't fill your car full of Kenwood crap. You pay for what you get ;-)

I've got a 5.2v Alpine head unit up front with Cerwin Vega mids and tweeters powered by a Hi Fonic's (Orginal gear and not the cheap copy stuff!) amp. In the back i don't any any other speakers as my exhaust noise keeps me happy :thumbsup:

But if i was to run rear speakers I would have some Focal 6x9s and a JL Audio 12W5 sub powered by a Phoneix Gold amp 8)

Mark, i know the lad with the Pug and Keenwood gear. It sounds cr4p but Christ it's b4st4rd loud1 :shock:

lilmark

Andy your right i spent many hours in his garage laughin at him while he was building it then the night it was finished he came out all made up an happy until we had a sound off on southport beach an mine was better sound quality, then at santa pod we both entered the db drag an he got a 143.6 db an my 206 got 148.9 but the system was worth 10K

91_GTi-R

Mr GTiR said:
:doh: D'oh!, did not spot that.

Set up wise I would go for a good set of componets up front and a set of 6x9 in the rear quarter panels where the back seats are all run off a 4 chanel amp. The 6x9's would be used for rear fill and as they are in the middle of the car won't be drowned out by the sub (s). A 12" sub in a sealed box in the boot powered by a dedicated amp.

As Mark has already said buy quality gear and don't fill your car full of Kenwood crap. You pay for what you get ;-)

I've got a 5.2v Alpine head unit up front with Cerwin Vega mids and tweeters powered by a Hi Fonic's (Orginal gear and not the cheap copy stuff!) amp. In the back i don't any any other speakers as my exhaust noise keeps me happy :thumbsup:

But if i was to run rear speakers I would have some Focal 6x9s and a JL Audio 12W5 sub powered by a Phoneix Gold amp 8)

Mark, i know the lad with the Pug and Keenwood gear. It sounds cr4p but Christ it's b4st4rd loud1 :shock:

so the best idea is to make a shelf with a 12" in the middle and put 6x9's on the out side and a good set of 6 1/2's up front?? and run quality stuff as i have a rockford deck and i should use 1" mdf? plus i love the sound of my car i just want a bit of bass too
cheers mates
alex

lilmark

No your best having the 6x9 in the rear door cards an a 12" sub in a box in the book as myou will get the best sound quality from having a sub in a box as a sub works buy moving the volume of air around it, so having a sub in the parcel shelf its got alot more air to move as it uses the boot as a box but your boot of the car is not air tight were as a box is so the sub has less air to move but it is not loosing any if you kno what i mean

Mr GTiR

91_GTi-R said:
so the best idea is to make a shelf with a 12" in the middle and put 6x9's on the out side and a good set of 6 1/2's up front?? and run quality stuff as i have a rockford deck and i should use 1" mdf? plus i love the sound of my car i just want a bit of bass too
cheers mates
alex
Alex, read again what i posted.

Garef

Hey Alex, it sounds like to me your desperate to get a 12" sub into your setup somehow, if you really have your heart set on one then do not put it on the parcel shelf, get a proper box and place it in the boot, it'll sound a lot better. Like Lilmark I used to have a car with a massive system in it, but since buying the R I only have components and 6x9's. If I was you I would forget the sub and spend the extra money on a higher grade component speaker and 6x9's and run them off a good quality amp. You also don't need the extra weight, haha.

O

owens

if you want a good sounding system you should allways start with a good quality head unit with a reasonable spec sheet, then add a decent set of components up front preferably amped then go for a nice 10/12" sub boxed in a correct sized box in the boot, but if you only want light bass i would go for a combined amped sub in one package (more cost effective).

i wouldnt waste any time or effort with rear speakers at all especially 6x9's (unless you are running a dvd player with 5.1 surround sound), your ears listen to sound from in front of you so why have music coming from the rear of the car as by the time it reaches your ears it will be delayed (albeit very slightly)

personally my last system cost me around £8k and reached 158db and it did sound good but good quality equipment can be found for a reasonable price online nowdays.

and dont forget your system is only as good as the weakest part

Mr GTiR

Another tip is to get the car sound deadened! I did mine not for ICE but because my 3" exhaust is so f00king loud!

lilmark

What are you going for sound quality or volume as it might be best using a 10" sub not a 12" if going for sound quallity, also use a decent wiring kit not a cheap one as the wiring is one of the main things in a system along with sound deadening,

im running 2 12" alpines type r subs an infinity components both are amped but ive gone for sound quality mainly but have got the volume if i wana enter sound offs but most of the time the subs are set low on the bass controller just enough that you can hear them in the background

You need to decide what u you want more qualtiy or volume

Garef

Infinity and Alpine, great combo, I had that in my old car, got some new stuff lying in me room to be changed over from the old stuff thats in the R just now.