Steering problem???

Dynamo

Hi all, recently got my gtir, must say its a very good clean car, however i jacked it up the other day to check a few things and now i have a problem, i firstly swapped the front wheels to the rear as the rears had better grip, not sure if this is common with gtir's but the centre caps only fit on the rear???
The bush on the steering rack end of the drivers side looks knackered. The problem is that since ive changed the wheels over the tracking was out and vibrated quite a bit, the main problem tho is that if the car is stationary or moving VERY slow the steering is not right at all, the steering wheel will turn about 3 inchs and seem to lock for about 2 secs, turn again and lock again, 3 point turns and parking is near on impossible to do in a sensible manner, i know a bit about cars but im no mechanic, my guesses are the steering rack end or power steering pump, can anyone help me out???? my power steering fluid is topped up, ive changed the wheels back, vibrations and tracking is sorted, put it down to balenced wheels but the steering is still an issue, also im going to need front brake pads soon, was going to get red stuff, are these reccomended?

Thanks in advance

GTiR-Aholic

Feels like a 50 pence piece when steering? - We get this all the time here (Own power steering services in Greenwich, London) and it's normally down to a problem within the rack.. however, when you say it happens only when stationary or moving very slow..

Try (when stationary) turning the wheel but revving the engine up to say about 3-4000 rpm... does it make it any better? - If it does then it could be a problem within the pump not being able to create pressure at lower rpm. Keep the revs at 4000rpm and turn the wheel lock to lock... does it go from good to bad? if it does then the pump isn't able to hold the pressure it builds.

Sometimes it can also be due to a restriction in the system.. (blocked filter in the reservoir, contaminated oil etc..)

Try that test first.. if it makes no difference then 9/10 times it'll be the rack. If you take the rack out I can test it for you on our rig.. and the pump if you wanted.. £10/test.

I've got a recon rack with 1yrs warranty on the shelf for £130 or £60 no invoice

darkyGTI-R

Regarding your break pads i've been told by i mate of mine who has done loadsa cars including mine that it's better to go for cheaper pads because then they don't cut into your break discs especially with hard pads like red stuff etc if you have really good discs it's better for pads to ware not your discs wouldn't you agree?It's far more cheaper to replace break pads than discs!

Tim

Buy cheap pads and the brakes wont be as effective, it's that simple, even more so when hot.

Dynamo

GTiR-Aholic - thanks for the info, before readinging this i had another litttle tinker while at work with a mate and found that the power steering belt was slightly loose, tightened it up and all seems good, can turn on the spot easy, seems to sway a litttle if im not holding the wheel going in a straight line, not sure if its just me being paranoid, if i do need a rack ill let you know, can you fit them too? as for the pads ill bare everything in mind :thumbsup: thanks for the info ppl.

GTiR-Aholic

the swaying could be road camber.. or just your tracking.. i did think maybe it's just the belt but it's not often the tensioner goes loose!.. saying that.. these are old cars. Good to hear you got it fixed without having to fork out for parts :)

We've never had to fit one to a pulsar.. I think it would be a bitch of a job personally, we'd probs charge 3-4 hrs labour (£60/hr).