Starting and idle problem

billy187

Just been out to start the car and it took me 5 goes to get it started, it would turn over but just not start, after it did finally start the car was idling very very low as if it was just about to cut off then after a few minutes picked up again. Also now it idles at just under 1000rpm eventhough it has been set to and has always idled at 1000 before. Also when the cars cold there is a strong smell of petrol from the exhaust fumes but this only lasts a few minutes untill the cars warm. Any ideas?

Last edited:

STEVEN878

idle control valve could be sticking which i think are located on the underside of the inlet manifold and are a nightmare to change, coil on its way out maybe.

billy187

is it still safe to drive the car if its overfueling? The smell only lasts for a few minutes when the cars cold but then goes away....

Checked the idle valve control and it seemed fine so i just turned it up a tiny bit so now it idles at 1000rpm again..

STEVEN878

if the car has fueling issues then you may hydrolock the engine. if it was mine i wouldnt drive it till it was sorted.

billy187

just been out in the car again now and there was no smell of fuel or anything, only happens when the car is really cold and hasnt been driven for a few days so im guessing thats nothing....the idle does still move around just under 1000rpm eventhough dp adjusted it today to just above so will need to get that sorted, still didnt stop me from totally hammering a sti wrx just now :-D