stainless tubular manifold standard position with fitted pic

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
There's' no disputing it looks fantastic, very, very nice.

I would still be concerned that it'll crack somewhere, as it's only 18 gauge 304/316 stainless and it has no apparent bracing or support to take the weight of the turbo hanging off it. Manifolds made from the same material only thicker have been known to crack after a very short amount of time,

I think stainless looks great but is just to brittle for the job, it would be far more up to the job if made from mild steel as the nature of mild steel would allow the whole structure to flex, expand & contract enough to stay in one piece. If you were concerned about it's appearance you could always get it ceramic coated.

Still looks very nice though 8)

P

Petbeemer

Steve m8 any manifold whether mild steel or stainless steel will crack at some point,the thicker you go the more chance you have of this as it gets even more brittle,no amount of bracing on the manifold itself will stop this,i have explained this to Carl and also said the only way to stop tubular manifolds from cracking is to support the turbo(make a bracket that bolts the turbo to the block).
Replacing a cast manifold with a tubular one will always cause problems!cast is very strong and has exellent heat properties which is why manufactures use them,if you feel the weight of the downpipe and turbo combined you will understand that a red hot tubular manifold stands no chance of not cracking especially when other factors like vibration,hot spots and the like are thrown in,but like stated its down to the owner to support the weight and if done correctly there should be no reason why it wont last!
Plus it can be rewelded unlike cast!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yes I agree, any tubular manifold will crack eventually, it all depends on the properties of the material used.
The point I was trying to make was that nearly all types of stainless will start off life far more brittle than any type of mild steel, it has all that chromium and nickel in it to blame for that, so the properties inherent in a mild steel will take longer to reach that brittle stage when cracking begins.

Also Cast iron is difficult, but not impossible to weld/repair. If you use the correct stick and don't let it get to hot (you can even MIG it) then let it cool very, very slowly. I often put small cast objects/manifolds I've repaired in a tub and cover with warm silver sand or even in a warm oven to cool. No problem and no re cracking.

But still, like you say what can you do, the customer is always right and if that what he wants then thats he gets.

P

Petbeemer

Steve i agree with everything you say m8,being a coded welder myself i have done many a repair ect to cast with dissimilar rods,christ i even worked in a foundery for a day! lol
But like you say the customer gets what the customer wants and i can only advise,if they dont listen then they pay the price!