Speed converter de-limiter

eastwood

Hi,

all been making use of the good weather trying to get my car finished for MOT so I can UK register it.

Anyway I wanted to fit a speed limiter today and the only one I have here is a 4 wire one with green red blue and yellow wires.

Before you say it I have done a search but I have only fitted the 6 wire type and wondered if anyone has any info on fitting the 4 wire type?

Also I know there a 3 types of convertor MPH MPH/De-limit and Delimit so does the 4 wire type just convert the speedo to MPH or does it de-limit as well?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does it have anything written on it? - I've got a 5-wire one with the cable IDs on it, but I was wondering the same thing.
Currently my speedometer reads in mph, but it still hits the limiter at 118mph (or 7000rpm in 4th gear) on the dyno, so I was wondering how to stop that happening.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Hi,

so does the 4 wire type just convert the speedo to MPH or does it de-limit as well?

As far as I'm aware all delimiters just move the limit from 180km/h to 180mph.

I think the limit can be removed with Nistune, but Ed can confirm that.

eastwood

Im going to Ed for a Nistune and mapping session (once I have everything done) so that will sort the speed limiter anyway.
Still need to know how to wire in the convertor though :doh:

eastwood

Does it have anything written on it? - I've got a 5-wire one with the cable IDs on it, but I was wondering the same thing.
Currently my speedometer reads in mph, but it still hits the limiter at 118mph (or 7000rpm in 4th gear) on the dyno, so I was wondering how to stop that happening.
Nope nothing writen on it just small black box like the 6 wire type but only has the 4 wires.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well in that case:
Red = +12V
Green = Earth
Yellow = kph (in)
Blue - mph (out)
...and on the one I've got Grey = ECU signal.

I thought the same thing Carl, but when it was on the dyno the clocks were reading in mph... but when it hit 7000rpm in 4th gear it cut out (the graphs just show everything drop at that point). - They said the road speed was 118mph, which is probably just enough above 112mph to be the result of 16" wheels.
That's why I'm also trying to work out how to remove the limiter on the ECU given that my clocks are reading right.

eastwood

Well in that case:
Red = +12V
Green = Earth
Yellow = kph (in)
Blue - mph (out)
...and on the one I've got Grey = ECU signal.

I thought the same thing Carl, but when it was on the dyno the clocks were reading in mph... but when it hit 7000rpm in 4th gear it cut out (the graphs just show everything drop at that point). - They said the road speed was 118mph, which is probably just enough above 112mph to be the result of 16" wheels.
That's why I'm also trying to work out how to remove the limiter on the ECU given that my clocks are reading right.
OK will give that a go tomorrow then.

Thanks

darkyGTI-R

I've bought 2 from ebay and never had any joy what so ever in fitting them they just stopped my clocks working!
So gave up in the end i've tried about 3 times to fit them each following the instructions to the letter what a shitter of a job too!