spec / power output??

GINGA

pulsarboby said:
got one:-D
Bang :doh:

As for power, your probably looking at around the 340/350ish mark at 1.4bar, my old car made 365hp on a std turbo with similar spec but had 100hp transmission losses which is alittle optimistic really :roll:

As for using a s-afc and a emanage never actually heard of that, but have heard of tuners using a s-afc aswell as a stand alone ecu, as it allows quick and easy fuelling adjustment without the need to plug the laptop in etc, although I suspect that he doesn't mean s-afc at all but actually ment the avcr boost controller as it mentions boost controller.

Last edited:
T

tro||

GINGA said:
but have heard of tuners using a s-afc aswell as a stand alone ecu, as it allows quick and easy fuelling adjustment without the need to plug the laptop in etc
the americans do it with the JWT ecu's all the time as they are a locked map.

but to do it on a self mappable system seems abit 'yeehaa' to me

P

pulsarboby

100bhp transmission loss! ive gotta pick myself up off the floor!!
i thought there was no more than 60 lost horses, that has really shook me, my old rwd cossie was putting out nigh on 300 at the wheels! thats a really big blow, i now feel a big turbo will have to be in order as car will only be making approx 250 at wheels (thats no good at all) i will get my ar$e severely walloped!

and this mapping stuffs giving me brainache, so you are saying i need to ditch the electronic fuel controller but keep the boost controller and go with e-manage?

Last edited by a moderator:

stumo

plumbed in fire extinguishers, snapoff s/wheel, brake bias valve, strutbraces, bumpsteer kit, polybushes, graphics etc.
you'll be ok, the graphics will add at least 200hp :thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

Originally Posted by stumo
just make sure you have fuel cut defencer or you'll be stuffed!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarboby
got one:-D

dont understand?

P

pulsarboby

thinking of speed limit defenser, which i have!
what is a fuel cut defencer?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
thinking of speed limit defenser, which i have!
what is a fuel cut defencer?
a con and an old joke.

IMO, 340 at 1.4Bar is a happy compromise for the T28. It wasn't a happy compromise for mein the end so I got a T3071.

Jim

A

AJ4

This one hasn't came up in a while, so I'll explain for any newbs so they dont get ripped off by merciless tuners ( if there is such a thing ? :lol: )

A FCD ( Fuel Cut Defender ) is a device used in some production cars to cut fuel if too much boost is measured. The idea is that the the turbo control system has a fault, the turbo spins up to full boost, so the ECU cuts fuel as a 'safety measure' to limit RPM.

Which is about the stupidest ****ing idea in the world, the last possible thing you want to do at high rpm and high boost is to cut the fuel and make it run lean.... :der: Still, I suppose it actually works, as having the rods exit the side of the block as the molten metal from the piston crown jams the piston in the block is a good way of lowering rpm rapidly ;)

Anyway, the way round this is to fit an FCD. What this does is 'cap' the signal coming from the boost pressure sensor ( MAP ) or AFM ( Hotwire ) so the signal never goes high enough to trip a 'fuel cut'. The signal just increases to a certain level and then holds steady just under the fuel cut level, even though the turbo can keep spinning and produce even higher boost.

Which is the second most stupidest idea in the world. Now you have a turbo spinning wildly into the lottery number boost levels, airflow has went through the roof, and because the ECU is only getting a steady capped signal it has absolutely no idea what is going on and can't provide the correct fuel.

The only thing to do in this case is to add the maximum amount of fuel above the cut level and hope for the best, not exactly the most 'precise' way of tuning.

Anyway, every manufacturer and tuner in the world sells one of these devices for the Pulsar. Unfortunately the standard Pulsar ECU doesn't actually have a boost cut circuit in it, so you might as well just take the £110 or whatever they cost and stick it up your ****. Obviously the tuners dont tell you this when they're selling you one ;).

For the people who may have bought one, and 'swear' that they need it, I'm sorry, you've been robbed. There is no physical connection to the ECU from the boost sensor, its a completely standalone system that is only used to power the boost guage in the dash, it doesn't connect to the ECU in any way whatsoever. If in doubt, feel free to post the ECU circuit diagram and tell us which wire it is.

Likewise with the AFM. 1000's of people have maxed out the AFM at 5 volts, at stupid levels of boost, and there is no fuel cut whatsoever. I have graphs to prove it from a data logged pulsar showing the AFM maxing out but the injectors still happily firing away, as do many other people.

So if you have an FCD fitted, remove it immediately. The only thing its likely to do is cut your fuel and make your engine run lean at high rpm when it doesn't have to. Well worth £110 if you ask me ;) :thumbsup:

O

Odin

Nice reply Ross, Lets see if any so called tuners come on and try and justify the fitment of one of these cracking bits of kit....

Mr Norris might like to start seeing as he list's one on his web site for the pulsar :roll: .....

Rob

A

AJ4

They all do Rob, as long as people are dumb enough to buy them and listen to tuners advice, they'll keep on selling them.

Like I said above, even if we did need one, its still probably one of the worst possible things you could fit to an engine. If it cut the ignition then fair enough, but they cut the fuel :der:

geoff pine

Thunder God said:
Nice reply Ross, Lets see if any so called tuners come on and try and justify the fitment of one of these cracking bits of kit....

Mr Norris might like to start seeing as he list's one on his web site for the pulsar :roll: .....

Rob
That's just not going to happen any way if it says its for a gtir on the box are you suggesting hks don't know what they are talking about or that their just exploiting the uninformed:wink:

Last edited:
O

Odin

Geoff pine said:
That's just not going to happen any way if it says its for a girl on the box are you suggesting hks don't know what they are talking about or that their just exploiting the uninformed
Yes I would say that they would be more than capable of taking people for a little ride down the river matey, And Seeing as Ross is a rocket scientist I trust him far more than any tuner or HKS for that matter, As Ross said show us a wiring diagram showing how it would work on the Gtir ? :der: ......

Rob

A

AJ4

I wouldn't say I knew any better than HKS, the difference is I'm not trying to sell anyone anything so I dont have any biased opinion ;)

I'm sure Simon ( or anyone that sells them ) would swear blind that they are necessary, with some fabricated reason. Probably something like, 'Ah, it was only used on later models, you must have tested it on an earlier model' or something. But then again, surely an honest tuner would specify that in the advert, that they were only necessary on later versions ? To quote -

The GTI-R like many Japanese cars has a turbo boost cut-out. This works when the engine management system senses that boost levels are above the expected figure and takes action to shut the injection down. We offer an FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) which when fitted to the ECU prevents this cut out, which allows boost levels over 1.2Bar.
Hands up how many people are running at 1.4 bar with no fuel cut ?

:nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

**** it, I'm 'tuner ranting' again :oops: :oops:

P

pulsarboby

right got the gist of it now!
and will totally agree with you, you cant cut the fuel as you say! as it will muller your pistons, basically the same as pinking.

but what is a speed limit defenser? i bought one s/h and as far as i can make out this will cut the ignition......not the fuel! more of a rev limiter!
i must admitt i havent looked into it at all yet, as ive been concentrating on the engine build, not the mapping and so forth, have i made a boo boo buying this or what?

A

AJ4

no, a speed limit defenser is necessary. The cars leave the factory in Japan with a fixed speed limit of 112 mph.

The SLD removes this limit so you can drive at any speed, its the opposite to a rev limiter.