speaker wire colours

S

sacha

After having the old rear lights die on me, and recommendations to take the head unit out, i have uncovered quite a lot of bare wires. I only had sound through the 2 front speakers, so had a look round the back and there is a bunch of cut wires on the drivers side of the car. Does anyone have a colour chart for what wires are what, including the speakers. I have a cd gtir workshop manual, but it doesnt state wire colours, grrr

any help would be appreciated

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My car had all the wires factory labelled on the loom not far from the head unit. Yours might have them as well it you check.

S

sacha

Ive had a look as far back as poss and they dont seem to be labbeled. Why do people make such a hash of simple jobs ;like wiring, gets right on my t*ts :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think mine had 4 pairs of similar coloured wires. (greens and grey were 2 of them I think) I'll have a look at the weekend if noone's come up with anything before then.

S

sacha

ok, thank you very much. I can only see two similar pairs, which are the fronts, rears look quite random. Anyway, how much does that stereo weigh, or the wires for that fact :)

Where are you in north yorks

OZ-Racing

I'm gonna be digging around behind my dash this weekend, so I could pull the stereo out while I'm there. I'm pretty sure that all my wires are labelled on the loom adaptor I got.
I'll have a look for you, but the only catch is that I'm red/green colour blind :mrgreen: , so I will only post my findings if I can find somebody to tell me the colours :roll:

OZ-Racing

OZ-'R'acing said:
I'm gonna be digging around behind my dash this weekend, so I could pull the stereo out while I'm there. I'm pretty sure that all my wires are labelled on the loom adaptor I got.
I'll have a look for you, but the only catch is that I'm red/green colour blind :mrgreen: , so I will only post my findings if I can find somebody to tell me the colours :roll:
Sorry dude, but there was nobody around to ask the colours whilst I was tinkering earlier.

It's no big deal to rip it all out again if you really need to know the colours.

Let me know. :p

Bart GTI-R

I put a kenwood in mine a couple of weeks ago, but cant remember whats wot, im taking it back out the weekend because im still not happy so I will make a note of what mine are and then post a reply.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
These are the wires on the back of my head unit:-
12v feed - Red/blue bands
Earth - Yellow
12V Memory - Yellow /red bands

Speakers:-
Fronts - 1pair light grey/ 1pair dark grey
Rears - 1pair purples/ 1 pair greens

S

sacha

Thanks fast guy. Power looks fine but it appears i have no speaker cables in the car bar the drivers side. Why :evil: :evil: :evil:

thanks again