sparks from exhaust!!.

W

wizgti

Last night I was followed by a mate down the m5 and he said there were sparks coming from the exhaust!
Is this normal?
What causes it?
Ta
Andrew

C

charlie

mines always done it after a real hard thrash, with the flamer on it does it even more. I guess its either hot carbon or just unburnt fuel

A

Anonymous

My mongoose does it, dont really need to boot it :D thought it was unburnt fuel.

A

Anonymous

yeah on our little Enfield meet on Sat we had a little convoy and timur said there were bright yellow/ blue flames coming out of my exhaust ( its a full mongoose from the turbo back, no cat and 5' pipe), this just made my day :D . He said it was when i boosted off and it looked very nice, happened a couple of times too :D :D :D :D :D , also today while i was driving having some cars following me close by, they must have had a flaming good show :shock: :D .

N

Ninja_tune_factory

flames flames flames :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

W

wizgti

Flames I'm not worried about - I WANT FLAMES!!!

Its just the fact that it was sparks- I kinda worked out they would be one of 2 things-

Carbon particles burning up (good)

Metal fragments burning up (bad)

Is this quite a common thing?

C

charlie

think about it, any metal from the engine would have to go through the turbo first so ur turbo would be fooked anyway. So the worst it could be is from the turbo, however, i wouldn't worry :wink:

MarkTurbo

If its just sparks its probably only carbon particles.

I used to get it all the time on my old renault 5 turbo (Ooop's just admitted to owning a 5 turbo :oops: )

A

Anonymous

Hey! I used to own a 5 Tub before my R! Could have been worse, it could hav been a Cav SRI or an aRSe Turbo or something naff like that!

MarkTurbo

Yeah they're not as bad as people think. I used to do 400 miles a week in mine :shock: and it only broke down once when a piston ring went kicking an Rs turbo's a**e :twisted: :lol:

Actually it didn't really break down just made a bit of a knocking noise when i drove it home :wink:

O

Olly

I used to get that it was the insides of my 1st Kakimoto exhaust, don't get it with my Scorpion 8)

J

Jonny H

Its usually unburnt fuel.....have you had a Decat pipe put in? :roll:

A

Anonymous

u'll only get flames or sparks from the zorst from a turbo'd car as when u lift of the accelerator the turbo is still spinning pushin air etc thu the system which pushes wateva fuel thats left in the zorst out the back cousin it to spark (as the zorst is hot) but just a little tho (unless u have a flammer kit) but in order to get more flames u have to run the car rich on fuel which isnt very economical but hey who cares!! u only need 2 worry if u got blue, black smoke commin out ur zorst all the time cos it means ether the engines had it or the turbos about 2 go pop!

B

Brett G

So if thats the case with a turbo'd car then wouldn't a dump valve stop it, or reduce it?
As this releases that pressure build up that you're talking about??
Its just a theory!! If that is the case tho then I want flames :twisted: off with the dump valve who cares about the lag????? :wink: :lol:

A

Anonymous

i think its also got something to do with the fact that the fuel is used to cool parts of the engine which ends up comming out the zorst as waste, remember my brov tellin me about it but cant remember the specifics get urself a flammer kit, cost around £100 there quite ideal anyway cos they burn off the extra fuel that just drips out ur zorst so u get ur moneys worths out of ur petrol..lol u connect it to a switch so it sparks off when eva u want it to. or of u want mad flames u can get it connected to a gas tank in the boot which of corse isnt the safist option if u have a crash.........barbaque anyone? but u may want to invest in one of thos steel plates that go above ur zorst on the bumper as they stop the bumper from gettin melted :shock:

Tony

I had sparks last nite, wos doin bout 140 down my drive :wink:
and when i came off the accelerator a massive flame came up my back window, i started to gently tap the pedal to make it pop n bang :roll:
and i got a few more big flames then all these sparks were coming out as if my car was a massive tab (fag, ciggy, bine!), wish i could hav got it on video!!!!!

Tony....

C

charlie

hehe, i often see flames through m back window. im sure sometimes they nearly touch the spoiler :lol: