Shocks and springs experiment

keastygtir

Hi all

Putting this up for info. I never really wanted coilover suspension for my car but the lack of alternatives meant that I ended up getting some. I wont go over some of the draw backs of cheaper coilover setups as it been well covered, but for the use and type of roads I use the car on my preference would have been to have shocks and springs setup.

You can get the fronts quite easily as they are the same as the gti and some other models, the rears are the real issue. These can be obtained from japan but are very expensive.

I recently decided to try the following and see how it works.

keastygtir

I obtained some rear shock absorbers off a different model that were new and compared the resistance, bore and throw length of the shock. These were the same. The spring perch was higher on the new one (about 10mm) and the roll bar mount different.

I assemble the strut with my old Spax springs that were 40mm lower than standard. This in theory would result in a 30mm lowering from standard and should give a ride height of 350mm from the arch lip to the wheel centre. This is the height recommended in the suspension thread on here and one I have used with the coilovers.

keastygtir

I removed the roll bar mount from a set of my old rears and welded them on to the new KYB shocks. I have test fitted one today and have achieved a rear ride height of 345mm and after some light testing seems to be fine. I will continue with my testing and report results but for now here are some pictures so far.IMG_20201230_144925279.jpg

Cathode

Good work Keasty. This is interesting stuff. Constructive contribution to the handling of our cats. Much appreciated. 5mm difference from front to back if I understand correctly? No under steer?

keastygtir

Good work Keasty. This is interesting stuff. Constructive contribution to the handling of our cats. Much appreciated. 5mm difference from front to back if I understand correctly? No under steer?
Not had a full handling test yet just a slow drive over some rough ground to check clearance and shock movement etc. i will report back when I have done some more testing.

keastygtir

Did some more testing today, fitted the other side and took it out for a run. It feels softer as you might expect and nicer on the road. Fist impressions of the handling are that it seems pretty good without too much roll, I suspect ultimate grip and roll would be worse but I am focusing on road use. The rear height seems to have settles at around 355mm so not far off standard. I will continue to test and report.pulsar ride hieght new.jpg