Selecting Gears

Hi,

Feels a bit notchy going into gears at any speed, if you change gear slowly though, like ya gran, then its feels pretty smooth. I replaced the master and slave cylinder a few months ago bleed the system fully.

Im wondering if the master cylinder rod needs adjusting? i left it as it came out of the box, didnt really think to be honest :shock:

Could it be something as simple as that needs adjusting? the biting point is about 1 - 2 inch off floor, clutch pedal same level as brake pedal.

Checked the mounting points etc when i replaced the dash and fixed the re-circulation motor last week, no cracks etc.

If not then replace syncros :(

Cheers

Gaz

paz

I'd say try a couple of things before you start messing about with the box:

1 - As you mention, try adjusting the clutch pedal, if you look under the dash you can do it there - there's a how to guide somewhere on the site

2 - Try changing the gear oil for something decent. Redline MT90 is recommended by a lot of people, as is redline shokproof - although I'd try the MT90 first.

Cheers

Paz

Replaced the oil in January with MT90 in the box, transfer and rear diff, cost a furtune but only the good stuff will do :D

Just going to try the adjustment now, should of done it with the dash out, oh well !

paz

:lol: Allegedly (never done it myself) its pretty simple if your reasonably mechanical minded, although its meant to be a fiddly job!

Paz

:shock:

Err, well might leave that one for the weekend!

Undone lock nut, took gudgeon pin out and well thats about it :D luckily still got my old cylinder so can see a way of winding the rod in but its just getting to the point, maybe try and somehow get the clasp over the pedal then wind that out? oh well give it another go Sunday.

antgtir

If you haven't looked on the guides here have you not got a workshop manual you can look at??

More or less the first thing i bought for the R lol

Ant.

Yeah got the workshop manual, but didnt want to start as I was in work in an hour, needed car to get there :D

Might take you up on that cojack, could do with seeing how far out yours is adjusted.

Let me know when your free

Gaz

Okay met up with cojack on Sunday and he noticed my pedal had a bit of resistance in it.

So I have just bled the system again and has made a massive improvement, but did notice when my bro was pushing the clutch pedal in the fork the slave cylinder operates is making a deep groaning sound?? what could this be?

The master and slave cylinders have been replaced in the last two months, not kits but the whole thing. Could it be something as simple as the relase bearing or cover plate?

Am thinking of replacing the clutch in the next few weeks for a standard OEM nissan job. I know, but its running standard boost and no real intention in the next year or so of turning it up. I will try and get a sound file uploaded to my web site at some point and post the link!

Cheers

Gareth

cojack

Alright lad sound like you need to greese your clutch fork pivot. Take the slave off and pull back the boot move the clutch fork forward and stick some grease on it. Its a bit tight but if your taking the box out do it then. Much easyer 8)

Have you got that Zorst order yet fella. :?:

Think i'll do it when the box is out, tried that when I replaced the slave cylinder, tight is not the word not complaining about things being tight though 8)

No zorst yet, but soon :wink:

antgtir

My fork actually bent and nearly snapped into two pieces :cry: this made it very difficult to slect gears and hard on the clutch as i was having to push further.

If you can inspect the fork with the boot off, see if there is any cracks on it, check it when its under load i.e. get someone to sit in and push the clutch while you inspect.

Regarding the clutch, i would reccommend the Helix Organic clutch, for me it feels real light and just like a standard clutch (however this is after me experiencing god knows how many months of really hard clutch) is probably not too far off the price of a standard clutch and it gives you the opportunity to turn the boost up with no probs with the clutch failing etc.

Ant.

Just got a quote on the standard nissan clutch kit wait for it a whopping £249 :shock:

For £278.94 from rallynuts.com can get a Helix Organic Sporting Clutch Kit :D

Mine is a 1991 H plate in the description it says
This kit will suit cars from 1992on
also DP Motorsport are doing a Exedy - Single Plate Organic Racing Clutch for £227, is this just the plate or cover and bearing as well? and is it any good?

http://www.dpmotorsport.net/parts/exedy/home.htm

Will this still be suitable for mine, or was there a slight modification after the first year?

Cheers antgtir, hope mine isnt bending :( oh well defo taking engine and box out now, check a few other things as well me thinks!

Gaz
www.britishrallying.com