Running No front anti-roll-bar

CruiseGTi-R

I was reading about the new Noble M15 - it runs without any anti-roll bars, front or rear. The fella said he just hates understeer and it worked best without em.

Got me thinking, anyone tried running without a front arb and without strut brace on stiff enough suspension?

(Sits back and waits for massive reply from cambellju :-D )

A

AJ4

I did hear about someone on here who didn't have an anti-roll bar on his Pulsar, it cured his understeer problem exactly the same as the Noble you mentioned...

CruiseGTi-R

Its just that with the very forward biased weight on the pulsar it prob needs quite unusual set-up to dial out understeer completely.

I'm fiddling with brakes next w/e - might tear off the front arb, see what happens. Probably end up in a hedge.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I only feel like I should write a short answer now :kev: ;-)

Oh go on then...

Have I tried it on an R yet.. No, should I.... why not it will only take a short time to disconnect the torsion bar. Will I like it? well at the moment I'm trying to dial out a hint of oversteer at the rear (Only been on the road again for a day so far), my chassis is fairly well balanced (Driver needs some work though :oops: )

IMHO, removing the ARB's is fine but it will give a very coarse and less dimensional adjustment. I suppose if you were designing from scratch it would also make the process simpler too.

It could be that the Noble has such a low propensity to roll that on road tyres there is no real need. If they put in softer springs then maybe the car started yawing too much under braking/acceleration so they quit whilst they were ahead?

Maybe those R's running the K-sport/G-max or whatever coilovers with high spring rates could lose them too?

I might have a go in the interest of experimenation.

O

Odin

Yeah there's not a lot of give in my springs thats for sure lol.

Rob

Fazz

This is interesting, the understeer is a tad bit of an issue with me too ( as indeed most I guess) and very interested to hear the results of this..

pulsar_stu

A friend of mine hasnt got a front arb and we just thought that maybe it had been bent when the last owner had hit a speed ramp or something, So now we know why it is off lol, He is putting one back on now, would it be a problem if he left it off? M.O.T wise?

Dooie Pop Pop

pulsar_stu said:
A friend of mine hasnt got a front arb and we just thought that maybe it had been bent when the last owner had hit a speed ramp or something, So now we know why it is off lol, He is putting one back on now, would it be a problem if he left it off? M.O.T wise?
yeah but, no but:lol:

how does the thing handle ffs?:lol:

CruiseGTi-R

I run the D2 shocks and they are freakishly hard. I have run without the rear arb before, between changing from oe arb to whiteline item, and that was just noticeable.

The front arb is probably not being activated at all with a very stiff and low (prob too low) set-up. Might be useful to get rid of the pre-load which the arb places on the arms.

Cambellju - take yours out and let us know :-D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pulsar_stu said:
Nope. Maybe the bushes had died and were knocking so it was cheaper to bin it for the PO?

A

ard1ey

I've run mine with no front ARB for a bit, with the Whiteline springs and shocks and the rear ARB on hard. Only got to drive it in the wet, but I found it was a bit too fond of oversteer like that.

Perhaps the thinner front bar WL do might be a better compromise?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
ard1ey said:
I've run mine with no front ARB for a bit, with the Whiteline springs and shocks and the rear ARB on hard. Only got to drive it in the wet, but I found it was a bit too fond of oversteer like that.

Perhaps the thinner front bar WL do might be a better compromise?

I found wioth the front ARB in and the rear ARB on hard it still became a bit of an oversteer monster. Might be just the effect of the rear ARB but taking off the front ARB would only make it worse

N

Ninja_tune_factory

I do no that some of the D1 driver in japan run with out arb , they also say it stop`s understeer.

P

Paul Firth

pulsar_stu said:
This was my car. I took the ARB off after reading on here a long time ago that it would help get rid of some understeer. Which it did. The car handled a lot better without it in my opinion. I'm taking it off my new pulsar too as soon as I get round to it.

A

ard1ey

campbellju said:
I found wioth the front ARB in and the rear ARB on hard it still became a bit of an oversteer monster. Might be just the effect of the rear ARB but taking off the front ARB would only make it worse
I can see your point, but I prefer it to be a bit looser at the back - I found that in the mid-position it didn't turn in as well, but in fairness i still have loads of suspension fiddling to do :D

Completely agree about the no-bar-making-it-worse bit though!

Ian

D

danmo

I haven't got an anti roll bar cos part where it bolts on to, at the front left is slightly bent and pushed up into the chasis - I don't really get much understeer though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

danmo

I haven't got an anti roll bar cos part where it bolts on to, at the front left is slightly bent and pushed up into the chasis - I don't really get much understeer though.

Can't believe i posted this twice and spelt 5 words wrong! lol

Last edited by a moderator: