Rod bearings

Trip

These bearings seem to be haunting me down:roll:

I initially left it in the hands of a well respected UK tuner to supply me all the parts i needed for my engine built. I was supplied with 17mm ACL bearings. He claimed that the 17mm are better then the 19mm since they create less friction.

Well, after reading and searching on this subject, I opted to go for the 19mm. At that time I didn't know ACL produced 19mm version so i bought the standard set this time from a well respected shop in UK.

My engineer/builder finally started building my engine so I went over to his workshop to make sure we have all the parts needed. we opened up the boxes of the standard 19mm bearings and he pointed out the bearings do not look very "healthy"...

Basically the surface is discoloured like they were rubbed against something. Surface is still smooth to the naked eye/hand

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

Should I replace them and buy my third set of bearings:doh: ?

G

gsikevin

if it wos me i wood replace them coz if anything did happying u no u have replace them

stumo

Those bearings aren't for a GTiR .

The hole in the bearing should line up with the hole in the rod which is approx 45 degrees to the split line, NOT 90 like in the picture.

They look like they've been knocking round someones toolbox for 6 months :roll:

From (my very poor) memory, the number on the back should be 112111-54c00.

I can check tomorrow as i have a std set i can check.

Trip

stumo said:
Those bearings aren't for a GTiR .

The hole in the bearing should line up with the hole in the rod which is approx 45 degrees to the split line, NOT 90 like in the picture.

They look like they've been knocking round someones toolbox for 6 months :roll:

From (my very poor) memory, the number on the back should be 112111-54c00.

I can check tomorrow as i have a std set i can check.
Not for the GTIR.. Well done.

DO I HAVE A SIGN ON MY BACK SAYING "RIP ME OFF"

stumo

45 degrees.

what conrods are you going to use?

Do you still have the standard conrods? Have a look at them.....there's a hole that sprayed oil onto the bore, the hole in the bearing should line up with that hole no matter what bearings you are using.

The Nissan and ACL bearings both have the hole at 45 degrees.

CruiseGTi-R

Get 19mm bearings - they give 11% more surface bearing area than the 17mm. It's not rocket science to see that they're wider for a reason. It spreads load, lowering the pressure locally on the crank which means less heat generated.

ACL code for main bearing for GTIR is 5M2975H
ACL code for Rod bearing (19mm wide) is 4B2976H

There, should help get it right 3rd time round :-D .

Trip

P

pulsarboby

yep as stumo says they are 100% not sr20det bearings, and they have been used!

il tell you whats happened, someone has bought a set of bearings, and returned them for some reason for a refund, but the cheeky fcukers have put an old set of bearings they had lying around back in the box:roll:
i get this quite a bit from my part supplier, people go in the shop, buy something then put an old part back in box and seal it up again, and tell them its the wrong part or they dont need it anymore! then other people such as moi:-D order the same part and end up with the crap they have put in the box:doh: it really is a pain in the ass.

the parts supplier should really check returned items, as this happens time and time again.

Trip

bloddy supplier. I was already ripped on the shipping for these items. I paid £59 for the bearings £68 for ARP rod studs + £30 shipping. On the parcel there was written down Parcel Post £3.xx.

Now I realise they are USED and not even for the GTIR. I also sent him a pic of the crank grade number.

I bought these last January and its useless trying to contact the supplier now since almost a year has passed.

youngsyp

Trip said:
bloddy supplier. I was already ripped on the shipping for these items. I paid £59 for the bearings £68 for ARP rod studs + £30 shipping. On the parcel there was written down Parcel Post £3.xx.

Now I realise they are USED and not even for the GTIR. I also sent him a pic of the crank grade number.

I bought these last January and its useless trying to contact the supplier now since almost a year has passed.
We all live and learn mate. Get up, dust yourself off and get on to Erics Performance for the correct parts.