Rev counter ( Playing up)

jayb

Hey Guy's

My rev counter is playing about, it's sticking, I have a white dial speedo. One minute its working OK, then the next it's sticking/bouncing about, when high up in the revs it stop's then drop's back down?

Plus when i hit the top of the dash with the car off, the rev counter bounces up and down?

Can someone help?

Next weekend i want to get everything sorted on my pulsar. Is there a speed sensor on the gearbox?

Or should i take the speedo out and nip all the screw's up?

Many thanks jay

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There is a speed sensor on the transfer case, but that only affects the speedometer.

I think the tachometer signal is driven off the ignition; you can check what the ECU is seeing through the consult port (if you've got something that will talk to it).

Unfortunately there's a good chance it's a knackered gauge; they tend to get damaged when the white dials are fitted.

shroom

I noticed when someone stole my Apexi SAFC they tried to rip the wiring out too and when I tried to get it all back together the rev counter stopped working, is there a feed from the ECU? I also have the white dials which are sh1t

MarkTurbo

Plus when i hit the top of the dash with the car off, the rev counter bounces up and down?
If its only a small amount thats normal, my rev counter has just started playing up and i tried that first :lol:

Mine has been parked up for a few months and when i first started it the rev counter initially worked and then started jumping and now nothing :doh:

Where does it take its rpm signal from? I can still see what its doing on the apexi which takes its rpm signal from the ecu but thats no good to me really!

MarkTurbo

Still having problems with my rev counter. Sometimes it works fine for a while then other times it'll either sit at 0 or jump around intermittently.

Anybody got any ideas?

splmum

I had the same thing occur. It would work ok, then stop, then work ok, then bounce, then stop, and so-on.

Took the car to an instrument fitter who eliminated that it was the speed sender, so they then removed the instrument cluster, replaced the diode and PCB for the tacho, put it all back together, tested it on the road, and it has been working perfectly again for 4-5 years.

In OZ this cost me $220, so about GBP120.

Last edited: