Reuse of metal head gasket ???

radiobar

hi !

has anybody reused a metal head gasket ?
one of my friends has engine damage after approx. 2000 miles.(total new rebuild)

it seems that the pistons were washed by to rish mixture = bad mapper.........

so the gasket has only around 2000 miles.
its a HKS 2.0 one.

thanks for any info.
bye.

P

pulsarboby

dont reuse it, if you do your heading for trouble and will have to do the job again for sure!(it will leak like an irishmans welly)

P

pulsarboby

he is running quite high bhp though alan (risky i think) i cut corners on some things but i wouldnt take the gamble on that just to save a few quid.

only thing in his favour is that its a low comp gasket, but still iffy for the sake of saving a oner!

MarkTurbo

pulsarboby said:
dont reuse it, if you do your heading for trouble and will have to do the job again for sure!(it will leak like an irishmans welly)
Wrong, who told you that :doh: My car is proof that they are reusable ;-) Like ashills says, hairspray ;-)

O

Odin

You can reuse them as said, But I wouldn't be fitting a 2.0mm gasket to my car in the first place, Must of been a DP car lol.

Rob

PaulB

You should really be lowering the compression of your engine through piston and rod selection. Using a thicker head gasket isnt the ideal way, but it does a decent enough job.

Oh, and you dont need to say "bye." after every post ;-)

O

Odin

radiobar said:
hi !

ok,thanks.
why shouldnt we install a 2.0 one on a 500hp car ?

bye.

(A) because you don't need to use a 2mm gasket to run 500bhp.

(B) because I don't like the way the car drives off boost with one fitted, Thats my own experience anyway ;-) .

My car will be around 500 bhp and I'm using a cometic 1.2 mm gasket.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

i stand corrected then:lol:
although i personally wouldnt reuse one, but thats the way i was taught!

but things have moved on a little from the dinosaur age:lol: , the way you run a car in being one of them, with the fine edge boring technology nowadays etc, means its better to run a car in hard, as i have done, and paul b will be doing!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
but things have moved on a little from the dinosaur age:lol: , the way you run a car in being one of them, with the fine edge boring technology nowadays etc, means its better to run a car in hard, as i have done, and paul b will be doing!
Things have changed alot in the last 20 years :) :roll:

I built my own engine with a 1.2mm Tomei gasket and used factory tolerences throughout, didn't pi ss about running it in either, after the first 20 - 30 miles at 1.2 bar I dropped the mineral oil and filled up with Silkolene Pro, then mapped it to 1.7 bar. The most important thing is to get ALL the tolerences spot on, balance ALL rotating parts and make sure the block is perfectly straight.

Last edited: