Replacing a windscreen...

GTiRlover

I need a new windscreen but am only tpft so its gonna have to come out of my own pocket:( Thing is I would like it to be replaced with an authentic jap item with the bronze tint to it and the blue tint at the top.

Do any of you guys know the cheapest place to source an authentic windscreen because I can't afford to be paying 1K for one!

Thanks

tomble

I used to be a windscreen fitter, and as far as i'm aware most companies source their screens from aftermarket vendors such as ladaw or pugh's ?

if you want one like the standard item i guess you'll have to go to nissan and pay through the nose.

Tom

GTiRlover

Tomble- you're damn right about paying through the nose with Nissan. I phoned my local garage today and was quoted £152 for a standard Sunny windscreen which I was told is the same as the Sunny GTiR. I then provided my chassis no. and model code so they could get a price on the Japanese Nissan system (or words to that effect) and was quoted £894 for a Pulsar windscreen!!!! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry...

Aimee- thanks for the Autoglass pointer, I called them up also and was quoted £302.04 for a replacement windscreen (with all the tints) fitted at my house or £285.32 fitted if I go to their depot. Have you had such a windscreen from Autoglass? If you have can you please tell me if it is exactly the same or just a very close match?

Thanks for the help guys:D

oldaneal

think uk cars were also mainly not tinted or the glass was a green tint not the import bronze also think have heard rumours that the jap spec windscreens arent as thick as the uk equilvent

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Unlucky... I have free windscreen replacement which doesn't count as a claim... Would love to see the look on their faces when they got the bill for £800+VAT... :lol:

Personally i would just use a Sunny screen... Will cost you a whole £120... Certainly cheaper than £800+

Rishi

G

GTI-R Kid

Just double-check the job when its done! Hopefully you'll get more reliable fitters than the numpties that caused our car to go on fire! :evil:

J

justin666

GTI-R Kid said:
Just double-check the job when its done! Hopefully you'll get more reliable fitters than the numpties that caused our car to go on fire! :evil:
How the feck do ya set a car on fire replacing a windscreen?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
GTiRlover said:
Aimee- thanks for the Autoglass pointer, I called them up also and was quoted £302.04 for a replacement windscreen (with all the tints) fitted at my house or £285.32 fitted if I go to their depot. Have you had such a windscreen from Autoglass? If you have can you please tell me if it is exactly the same or just a very close match?

Thanks for the help guys:D
Yeah antgtir (my fella ) got his R glass from autoglass, they done a minter of a job with the tint aswel. Autoglass by far are the best glass provider in the uk & i highly recommend them.

Theres no difference with the glass - if anything its stronger than the one you have at the moment, ant had one stone hit the glass before it was replaced & it chipped really easily, the amount of stones that have now hit the new glass & it hasnt damaged it.

Good luck!

G

GTI-R Kid

justin666 said:
How the feck do ya set a car on fire replacing a windscreen?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.
Trust me - its possible!

Basically, when fitting the windscreen the guys had to remove the plastic panel and rubber seal by the windscreen wipers. When they had the new screen fitted they reassembled the plastic panel and the wipers, but left the rubber seal lying across the front of the engine by the exhaust manifold.

Now being an established company you'd expect them to be reliable, so I never thought to look under the bonnet after they'd fit a windscreen. I went to work for 8pm that evening in the wife's Ka as she was taking the Sunny to her mothers. Get a text at 8.30 saying there's sparks coming out the side vents of the bonnet and that she's left a trail of them along the road and pulled in as soon as she could.

I ring her immediately and she's inconsolable in tears at the side of the road. She can see flames in through the front grille and dropping on the ground under the car! So I hop in the Ka and give it death down the road to her. Arrive broadside behind the Sunny, check she's ok, pop the bonnet to find flames happily licking away at the front of the engine. Fortunately had a 5 gallon drum of water in the boot so dumped this on top of it which killed the flames.

Bottom line was that the rubber seal which had been left over the manifold had melted within 10 mins of driving, igniting and igniting one of the cooling fans with it. The trail she had left on the road was the burning plastic of the fan dripping off the car onto the ground.

Damage was one cooling fan completly destroyed, chromed intercooler pipe very badly scorched, wiring for drivers headlamp badly damaged, wiring for lambda sensor damaged but not burnt to the point of exposing copper, plastic joint by water cap to reservoir melted off (no reservoir in the car at the moment), bad smoke marks on the underside of the bonnet, and a really really distraught wife (fiancee at the time).

This all happened about 10 days before our wedding and trip to the Nurburgring! Fortunately for us, Pete on here :thumbsup: was fantastic and sent us over a fan from the UK which I managed to fit on the Friday (wedding on the following Monday) and the 2 fans are currently wired direct to a switch by the gearstick.

Just goes to show, even the jobs that might appear straightforward can be cocked up and cause serious damage! :shock:

Oh and Irish road users are ****ers! Woman in tears at the side of the road, with a car on fire, and not one person stopped for her! :evil: I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one would be stopping in such a situation.