Rear caliper options

Cathode

I have searched and read on here but can't find a definitive answer.

My original rear GTiR calipers are pretty much knackered and I doubt they're doing much if anything at all. I'd imagine the wilwoods on the front are doing 90% of it. With that, does anyone know if there are any off the shelf options or trodden paths that I may have missed in the search on here? Plenty about rear discs but not much on what caliper options for the rear. I'm not really interested in going down the Sentra route and the like.

I'd like to get single pot wilwoods for the rear to match the front but can't seem to find any for the GTiR, only fronts.

If any of you have done this already and have some recommendations please let me know.

EDIT: further reading it seems evo 3 callipers fit with a bit of persuasion but they’re too old.

is it just a case of buying some calipers for the rear and making them fit?

Last edited:

bill-n14

hey mate
someone here has a talking for rear calipers geogle it
i think from primera something but i am not sure on this
is bolt on but need to fit upside up the left one or rigth and the rigth on left

Cathode

As it happens, i may have sourced a company that sells original rear calipers for the GTIR. i'm going to find out today if this is true and if they're in stock. i'll report back just incase anyone else is interested for knowledge's sake.

Cathode

No. No they don't. They lied. But they do refurb them for £85 each so that's what i've gone for. i'll put up some pics on my build thread when its done. In 2 weeks.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Also its worth matching your pad compounds on the rears with the fronts!
I'd guess you've braided the lines front and rear too?

I added some gooved rear disc's too.

This all helped with more rear bias and also cope with the enormous heat issues I had when on track.

In the future I think I'll have to single pot the rears with some larger, vented disc's myself as the rears do more braking than you think!

Cathode

Well this is interesting, thanks Andy! I always appreciate your input.

Yes braided front and back. Plus, i had thought about what you said about the brake bias as i think i have read you say the same thing in an older thread when i was searching for an answer somewhere else on here. I also think i have found some grooved and drilled discs from M-tech that'll fit the rears too.

i'm going to contact the last place i got the Mintex pads from to see if they can offer up the same size for the rears.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I also think i have found some grooved and drilled discs from M-tech that'll fit the rears too.
I used Black Diamond brand from memory, they are grooved non vented discs

i'm going to contact the last place i got the Mintex pads from to see if they can offer up the same size for the rears.
If you do struggle with Mintex getting rear pads, you can always send old backing pads to them and they can repad the plates with the compound of your choice/needs, normally its a little cheaper too!

Cathode

Wow!. i didn't know Mintex could do that. That's awesome!

I'll check out and see the black diamond options.

You're a wealth of info Andy

splmum

A cheap rear upgrade is to use the Maxima caliper bracket and Maxima rotors with the standard caliper.
Maxima Disc - Rear - 278mm A32 Slotted-915S - redrilled to 4x100
Maxima A32 Brackets for Caliper - RockAuto USA - Cardone 141506 - alt 14-1506