Re:Dakar gearbox in my gtir

A

Anonymous

Its that point gearbox gone.
Would i be better of with a second hand gearbox out of a dakar as its a short ratio or should i recon my old one?
Would the short ratio box be good or bad with a big turbo?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
You could always pinch 5th gear (if it's still usable) outta your old gearbox an swap it for the dakar one....mountains of acceleration and 150mph top end (as well as reasonable Motorway economy) :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd recon your old one. Dakar's only good for about 130max in 5th(7500rpm)
If you put the 5th gear from the Dakar box in a standard box you'd have 2 4th gears in effect :?
If you put a normal 5th gear in a Dakar box you'd have a big hole between 4th and 5th, as 4th (from the Dakar)would be nearer 3rd (if not 2nd from a normal box)

A

Anonymous

Ive bought the daker box now. Took it to the rebuilder he adviced put 4th & 5th from my old box in the daker box. He will start building it on monday so i still have time to change my mind.
Would this setup work ok?

A

Anonymous

B16BUG said:
Ive bought the daker box now. Took it to the rebuilder he adviced put 4th & 5th from my old box in the daker box. He will start building it on monday so i still have time to change my mind.
Would this setup work ok?
now you are going to have a big hole between 3rd and 4th.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
oap-r said:
now you are going to have a big hole between 3rd and 4th.

Big hole :shock:

I think 3rd on my box is about 75ish at 7500revs, I think the standard 4th is similar to the Dakar 5th which will be about 125-130ish :?: So at a rough guess you'll be going from around 7500rpm in 3rd to between 4000 and 4500 in 4th :shock: (I don't know the gear ratios so these are not exact figures)
Make sure you have a low lag turbo or you'll be waiting to come back on boost every time you go into 4th. :(

A

Anonymous

So what would be my best option? As i do like the idea of better 1/4 mile times. But also enjoy cruising past M3s on the way home from the pod.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Another option would be to stick 3rd in as well as 4th & 5th, but I still wouldn't realy bother.
To be honest on my last (fwd)car I blew one gearbox and put a close ratio one in it, which had similar gearing to the Dakar box (60 in 3rd, 127 in 5th :roll: ) and I didn't notice any difference in 1/4mile times at least no more than a poor/good run.
I've had good 1/4 mile times with my RB (Dakar :roll: ) for the power, but don't forget it weighs less too and that helps.

I'd be tempted to stick with the standard box if you have it and just make sure you're in the right gear if you want to give chase :wink:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
D'oh! :oops: Putting 5th from the std box into the Dakar one's what i meant to suggest ! Oh well, nevermind :roll: