Rattles from bass

Jen-italia

I recently put 2 12 inch MTX subs in the R, and the whole back end is rattling all to hell. I am getting 2 12 inch MTX sledgehammers in a couple days here, which will be even worse.

Anyway.. have you guys ever installed any sound deadening material inside your R's? How difficult would it be to get it onto the roof skin between the brace? What about the hatch? Is it all a horrible time?

I really don't want to rip out my subs, and I can't even have the volume up at all or the car vibrates down the road.

Suggestions?

Garef

I have not put any subs in my car and not too many members on here have done so either, and if they have I doubt to the extent of what you are talking in sound deadening the roof etc.

Personally I think you are wasting your time putting that sort of ice into a GTIR, thats not what it's designed for and I'm not surprised that it's rattling a lot.

You may get some better answers to your questions on the modifiers forum.

www.nissangtir.co.uk

Jen-italia

Either way....
Just from the noise of the car, the roof skin rattles.
Havent at least one of you guys tried to fix it? I know its a common problem...

O

owens

Jen-italia said:
Either way....
Just from the noise of the car, the roof skin rattles.
Havent at least one of you guys tried to fix it? I know its a common problem...
ive posted a reply on your other post.

with regards to subs, i have one small 10" sub running minimal power just to overcome the sound of my exhaust (i usually tun it down anyway to listen to the car) if you intend to go with heavy bass from MTX sledghammer subs you realy are driving the wrong car, ive got £8k' worth of audio equipment sitting in my mums house because i refuse point blank to fit it and waist the power of the R by adding exsessive weight.

take a step back and re-read your post about running the quater mile in the times you have specified, then think your going to up the power of the car just to add huge amounts of weight to the rear of the car, it just seems a silly thing to do, dont get me wrong i enjoy the sound of a high quality sound system but you have to decide what you want from your R, a huge cracking sound system or a sprint car that will destroy many so called supercars

youngsyp

Each to their own and if you wand a nice sound set up in your GTiR, good for you. Just tell those who don't agree with it, to poke off ! :lol:

First off, you need to make sure that the roof battens are still attached to the roof panel. If not, use something like Silkaflex (silicon sealant) to re-attach them as well as you can. Then you'll need to dampen the roof with some form of sound deadening material.
To get to these, you'll need to remove the headlining. This isn't too difficult from the looks of it but, I'd expect it'll take 2 people.

Next up would be the boot hatch/lid. This is very thin in places and will vibrate like a biatch when provoked. I guess Dynamat would be the best cure but, that will add weight. If you're going to use it, I think the 'extreme' variation is the most effective.
Once you've deadened the hatch, you'll need to deal with all the plaxtic trim that fixes to it. It would probably best to leave it out altogether but, if you want to keep it installed, use something like self adhesive draft excluder for doors and windows. Put it around the edge of the trim and anywhere that might contact the body metal.
Once you've done these (the worst culprits), you can track down the niggly rattles and sort those in the same way.

Paul

123 gtir

Nj paul hes right and you may have a boot like this and belive you me you can have the power as well as a boot full of ice

MORF114

Does your number plate rattle like a bitch?

I love laughing my ass of at cnuts driving round with their system turned up high and a number plate rattling like a mofo against the trim.

Makes me think dumb cnut everytime