Raising the compression?

Godzilla

here are some better pics if it helps first one is so you know were your looking general area second pic has lower red box should be attached to upper one but now spins round freely , the bolt passes through it and in the background is the bulkhead frame thing , also all 3 spot welds are fine just the above area is snapped

Last edited:

Godzilla

bit of an update pic really , took the dash off today in under an hour pleasently supprised how easy it was, this is how the snap looks like before it goes in for strenghening, what you think lol

Godzilla

there attached to it mate, the bolt is just above were the clutch support bracket goes that stevepudney sells and you would have to undo that bolt to be able to get the pedal off . you can watch it flex like mad now the dash is off

Godzilla

you can barely see it from underneath but get a torch and the bolt head has a number 4 on it press the pedal while under there and you will notice if that has gone will move abit ,

P

pulsarboby

not the worst one ive seen lol, but same effect in the long run. it only takes a couple of mm movement at the top of pedal to cause a major prob, as your now well aware!

steve963

mine looks ok from under the steering wheel, no noticable flex

added a spacer to the end of the slave cylinder and it seemed to make it better, so I guess its the fork :-( Think im gonna try box removal without removal of engine this time!

Godzilla

didnt notice but its already been done once but badly

boby what the best way to strenghen the whole pedal box as iv noticed one of the spots has a crack next to it so is bound to go sooner or later might as well catch it now,

Last edited:
R

riske

Same problem as i had in mine. Its also happened again but this time its the fork me thinks :-(

Just weld some more metal to the pedal box, its pretty thin and could do with some added bits ere and there. Also when i welded my bracket back up i attached another bit of metal to the top of the bracket to make it have 3 sides, if you gt what i mean??

Just weld as much as you can so it stronger all over because you dont want to do it again. Next the fork will go, trust me i know. Sorry to say but the clutch system is wank. you can bend the metal with your hand so think of the pressures firstly exurted by your leg then secondly by the pressurised system, bound to fail.

P

pulsarboby

didnt notice but its already been done once but badly

boby what the best way to strenghen the whole pedal box as iv noticed one of the spots has a crack next to it so is bound to go sooner or later might as well catch it now,

as risky said really! you need cross braces welded on and if the spot weld has started to split then weld a strenghening plate over the top, just tack weld it though as its thin metal and you dont want to weaken it further.
cant believe how poor these pedal boxes are, soon as the things see a bit of pressure they start to split.

im not any good at metal fabrication but im surprised that someone like mr pudney hasnt started to make new pedal boxes out of something a bit thicker and sturdier, they would sell like hotcakes as they really are a major floor even with the pedal support bracket fitted

people really have to consider all these facts before selecting a high performance clutch, as somethings gonna give for sure

R

riske

As mine has done... Brand new slave, then master, then hose, then pedal box, then rewelded bracket. Now because all are new the next weakest link goes...the fork. Its all one long chain of weak links that costs money. All should be aware that this happens. Possible sticky? (mods)