Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

I can run 100 octane fuel but nothing else....electrics are free, so is the Turbo, I would say I need 450 to 500 min with very good responce and a bullit proof G/box and drive line. a 2.3 engine would probably be the best way to go but again look at the costs involved?

bracpan

I'm 99% sure I will run the Pulsar again in 2012, I have drawn up a sizable list of things to lighten etc and will do a few mods as well. A few more stones off me should also help...lol Will also give me a better chance to think of any alternatives.
Finding some kind of sponsorship would be a better way to spend my time over the winter months.

Lots of options for a responsive 500bhp motor imo. The route I'm going is 2.2 on stock stroke with a high-ish compression ratio, ve head and billet GT30R which I'm hoping should be good for 550bhp+ and still be as responsive as a GT3071.

Alternatives would be a 2.4 with a big stroke crank and again a GT3076 or slightly bigger turbo, or a sequential charge set up with either a supercharger/turbo or small turbo/big turbo set up. A further alternative would be a variable geometry turbo, Holset HE351ve's can be had from the states for around £250 and then strip and clean the nozzle push rods and then rip off the electric actuator and replace with a conventional pneumatic one.

MarkTurbo

I can run 100 octane fuel but nothing else....electrics are free, so is the Turbo, I would say I need 450 to 500 min with very good responce and a bullit proof G/box and drive line. a 2.3 engine would probably be the best way to go but again look at the costs involved?
Can you not just get your car remapped and run 2 bar boost, that would be 450+ bhp straight away.

bracpan

Makaval 7 yes all great ideas, infact some real interesting ones but I only work for a contracting company I dont own it....next years racing is going to cost a considerable amount of money before I even start doing any mods to the car. Mark is right I could just up the boost and fit some bigger injectors of just push the boost to the max my injectors will take. Luckily my mapper is having a 4wd rolling road fitted soon so can do a bit more experimenting over the winter. I'll just concentrate trying to winning the class again I think trying to get the records is out of my price range for a while. One thing I am on the lookout for is a remote button for my G-reddy boost controller if I could fit one ( they dont seem to make them anymore) I could start on a lower boost then flick it over once second gear is selected, I have noticed the car does quicker 64 foot times on lower boost plus it will take some load of the g/box at the starts. Plus I need to get a shift light any ideas on that? easy to fit and read? Its little things that can often make a difference on a run.

I completely sympathise over costs mine feels like its taking forever as its not a cheap hobby. I realise all my suggestions are pretty costly but its more food for thought than anything else.

I think the greddy boost controller takes a standard input, I have one and I think the required signal in the manual somewhere (I'll have a look later)

red reading

well phill i have a stroker crank and rod's (you'd need pistons) that could get you 2235cc, gearbox can be sorted too. as for boost control NLR AMS 500 and put micro switches on the gear lever to give adjustable boost?

bracpan

Its a remote button they sold,,,,it fitted on the wheel by your thumb. if you have any info that would be great.

bracpan

Thanks Danny but there is no way I can afford to build a new engine this year. the last rebuild cost me a fortune and that was only 2 years ago. Plus I just dont have the time, I spend most of the winter trying to earn money for the summer, but really appreciate the offer.
As I said Ill just go for the class win records will have to wait.e

bracpan

That would be the one I think, the controller is fine, if I could just flick it to high boost if I could it would be perfect.

bracpan

Forgot to say the VE cant be fitted my Pulsar as the head has to be the one fitted as standard.
The days of spending a lot on the Pulsar have gone, I honestly cant see it getting close to the midland class records no matter what I spend on it.
If I can defend my class win it will do me for 2012. I even looked at building a Skyline in the future but they are too dam heavy.

Last edited:

red reading

I know of a evo 5 that is under a 1000kg, heavy use of a plasma cutter got the weight down. can you do the same with the pulsar?