Quaife box?

Krissyb

How do you know it's standard , this is my listing and I was led to believe the box was a quaife unit , 1st to 5th are all semi-helical, reverse gears are always straight cut are they not?
This has been in the car for a number of years launched and driven quite hard too. 1st gear has always whined and the box has always felt different to every other gti-r I have driven guys.

If someone can prove 110% by coming over and confirming its not a quaife gearset then be my guest rather than just reporting people. Check how long I have been a member on eBay and my feedback before reporting.

This may well be a genuine mistake but I was told last night by a friend's friend who machines gears for quaife that it is a quaife gearset and now I have mis communication?

Krissyb

I can get some pictures on request if need be and also count the teeth on which ever gear to aid in getting to the bottom of the problem before anyone jumps to the conclusions.

I am not a numpty this may just be a genuine error and someone has fobbed the Missus off along the line?

Last edited:

red reading

I have built more gearbox's than i can remember including shed loads of gtir one's and that is standard the quaife are totally differant gears in both pitch and size of teeth. your gearbox is a standard nissan helical unit. the quaife gears have a shallower angle hence the term semi helical and also have a part number and date etched into each gear.

And you can bring it to me so i can show you a quaife set of gears if you want as i have some...............i have reported you because that is not a quaife not for being a numpty but to stop someone else being ripped off inadvertantly,

P.s your p1 link above does not work as i am not a member.

Mr B

p1 link works for me & i'm no member not that it helps much in the matter of the box.
reading & looking at listing it is a standard box with probably worn layshaft & first gear hence the 1st gear noise.
Quaife is easily noticed when driving by noise from straighter cut of gears & with end case off gear markings & larger size of teeth really are noticeable ...
Quite a few people get conned on boxes & so called forged engines, some due both parties knowing no better & sometimes due to devious scum ... innocent until proven guilty though in the UK & if you check it out your end & act accordingly no harm done .

chrism

You should have really got it checked so you were 100% before you put it out. Ive been on the wrong end of purchases where people have gone on what the previous owners have said and then sold it as what was claimed and then when the thing broke and I took it apart I could see it was standard. Its not okay, regardless of whether its malicious or not!

Krissyb

I will be removing the listing guys, the box did whine and the gearbox seemed so different , I can provide much more in depth pictures as to the origin of the box ,do nismo do some kind of gearkit ?

I was certain that this could not be standard due to the way it felt to drive and the fact it hadnt failed either after being used for the reason it was purchased ?

Does anyone have pictures of quaife gearing sets?

red reading

na it's not that either scott, they have a very differant design to 3rd gear it has very short wide teeth with flat tops not sharp edge's.
it's just a standard box.

Krissyb

So it's just a standard box , that whines in gears and can take punishment for the two years the Missus owned it, just doesn't make sense guys the car was well over 300bhp and was driven

P

pulsarboby

a guy came over last night to remove that endcase as i was gonna buy the box off him but not without seeing the gearset.

i told him yesterday that it was not a quaife which is good as the lad i was buying it from would have just bought it as he didnt know the difference.
so he saved himself a lot of money and i saved myself even more.

unfortunately for you fella you were tucked up by someone.......however after i told you it wasnt a quaife you went ahead nd advertised it as so which isnt good is it:doh:

stock box if in good nick will handle 300 odd bhp the whine is probably a dodgy bearing

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

yep not good at all
the lad who was buying it from him and flogging it to me wasted a whole day travelling down there, he was gonna make a couple hundred on it by flogging it to me as the poor sod was skint.....i told him not to buy it unless he removed the endcase to check gearset, and around 7o/c last night he sent me a pic of it so i told him to leave it as it was not a quaife.
he was a bit pissed off after travelling all the way from brum but not as pissed off had he parted with his cash only to deliver it to me and be told it wasnt a quaife

people have to be so carefull now with what they buy, theres loads of mis-advertised stuff about which aint good if your the poor sod that ends up getting ripped off

Krissyb

yep not good at all
the lad who was buying it from him and flogging it to me wasted a whole day travelling down there, he was gonna make a couple hundred on it by flogging it to me as the poor sod was skint.....i told him not to buy it unless he removed the endcase to check gearset, and around 7o/c last night he sent me a pic of it so i told him to leave it as it was not a quaife.
he was a bit pissed off after travelling all the way from brum but not as pissed off had he parted with his cash only to deliver it to me and be told it wasnt a quaife

people have to be so carefull now with what they buy, theres loads of mis-advertised stuff about which aint good if your the poor sod that ends up getting ripped off
Thing is bob is you told him that it was a nismo gearset and first gear was straight cut when in fact you was looking at reverse, funny that the guy came all the way from Brum and you only live in Southend, half hour up the road. He didn't remove the end casing . I did as i told him I had receipts but was unsure . If your going to stat facts get it right!!!

The fact it went on eBay is because a friend whom works at quaife and machines gears / builds differentials told me he was certain that it's a quaife unit. Even down to the lines machined in each gear this is done to tell which machine it was cut on, so was not cnutish at all. I think your missing the point that why would I put up pictures on eBay of the gears and remove the end case for someone if I was trying a scam on.

Think a few of you keyboard warriors need to look at the facts and the whe picture before posting, the gearbox has been changed to a standard box on eBay and I am physically taking it down to quaife gillingham tomorrow for a opinion. No one has been particularly helpful in the questions I have asked.

Last edited: