Problems bleeding slave cylinder

gunman32

Hi.

I JUST CHANGED THE CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER YESTERDAY AND IM HAVING PROBLEMS BLEEDING CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE:doh:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I just opened the bleed valve at let it drip through for a bit; until it looked pretty clean... then did it up and gave the pedal a couple of pumps; that seemed to work. - As long as there's fluid in the reservoir it will flow down-hill, and pumping the pedal seems to convince any air to rise back up to the top.

I did try pumping the pedal and fiddling with the nipple, but letting gravity do the work was easier in the end... and less frustrating.

Er... if it won't engage any gears, are you sure it's the slave cylinder that's not working? There's no chance that your fork has let go is there? Release bearing is in good condition? Plate hasn't fallen apart (that happened to me; I thought the clutch fork had gone, but it was actually a piece of the clutch plate wedged in the cover stopping it from releasing).

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

I noticed in your wanted thread you said you needed just the push rod for the slave cylinder. Did the other one come out? If it did it means theres a problem with the fork, either its bent, punched through on the pivot, or release bearing has collapsed!

As above gravity bleed it ;-)

gunman32

The clutch was working fine till i put the new slave cylinder in i only changed it because i thought the push rod was too long and was leaving the fork partly opened.the clutch only starts to slip when its in top gear with maximum boost

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Don't see why not; there can't be more than ~500ml of fluid in the entire system so you can overfill the reservoir, let it drain down, and refill it to the mark.
I just figure if you drain it like that and big bubbles will come out with the fluid.

vss irvine

if a new slave hasnt fixed the problem then as mark said, theres a problem with your clutch fork.

no matter what clutch you have in there, if its for a gtir, then the push rod should not need extending.