Pressurised coolant pipes

stee

Rite, the problem i have isnt on my pulsar for a change lol just thort i wud pop a question about my girlfriends pug 106 diesel, an engine is an engine so just seeing if some1 will agree with what im thinking, we bought the car yesterday with a coolant leak from the radiator, i have replaced the radiator today but wen toppin up the coolant and bled it off, i put the cap on the expansion tank and started engine, immediatly the coolant pipes wer very pressurised, removed the cap and the pressure that came out was out of tge ordinary, am i right in thinking that this problem can only be the head gasket?????

Murff93GTiR

Sounds like its air locked if its pressurising instantly.i would fill it up bleed it then run it without the header tank cap on and see if air comes out and also what happens with your pipes

WEEGAZ22

does sound like a gasket if its pressurizing straight away, that's obviously a compression loss into coolant system, worst case scenario is a cracked block/head, but i'd be looking at HG first

stee

Ive took the head off now and cant see no obvious signs of a blow between a water gallery and the combustion chamber, ive also inspected the head and block vigerously and cant even see as much as a slight hairline crack anywhere, the gasket diddnt look the best but im gettin a new 1 today when it gets delivered at 12 then il rebuild it and hope for the best, i dont really want to spend money getting the head skimmed and pressure tested as its only a banger nd not really worth it

WEEGAZ22

check the head and block are true with a steel rule and torch first, especially if its been running without coolant so no point in wasting a gasket if heads needing a skim, should have be able to smell exhaust fumes in the coolant tank if it was leaking into coolant